Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 09:44 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Reading issue

I have a 2015 Ultra with the 4.3 Boom. Things with it have been great and occasionally I would prematurely turn the radio on too soon and get the "reading" scrolling across the top. More of an annoyance than anything else. I know about and perform the mute and volume up or down trick to make it go away. Yesterday on a 130 mile run it happened multiple times, and each time I did the mute and volume trick and it was fine for a bit. On the way back home, it did it 10 minutes in and let it go. It never stopped"reading". I am not sure what it is doing, and why now? My system is 1.21.0.4, I see there is a newer version out but not able to do the update as it did not recognize the drive. I only listen to music on a thumb drive.

I assume the new update may not help as it was only a few months after the version I have. And it was fine till this weekend. Not like HD logged in and tweaked things on my bike!

Hoping someone has some knowledge or advice. It seems to play and function fine, just getting the "reading" message.

I also power down the Boom before shutting bike off, it is now the normal routine. Turn it on after the bike has run for a minute or more, if I don't it will be "reading" immediately.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:51 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 963 Posts

"reading" happens every time you plug a new USB device in, could be your phone, ipod or memory stick (thumb drive).

If you are using it as a phone charging port, don't, that's not what it's designed for, it's a media port. While true, it can charge some phones, there are a lot that it won't, it simply doesn't have the wattage to do. Use a dedicated charger.

If you have music stored on your phone, copy it over to a thumb drive and leave it plugged in.

The following users liked this post:
Erilflynn (06-07-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:14 PM
gregmo6919
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does this every time start up. I just change it to the radio and right back to my usb and is stops this. Don't know what it is doing either, but I have let it go on and on and nothing seems to happen.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:38 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,746 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by sammer4u
I have a 2015 Ultra with the 4.3 Boom. Things with it have been great and occasionally I would prematurely turn the radio on too soon and get the "reading" scrolling across the top. More of an annoyance than anything else. I know about and perform the mute and volume up or down trick to make it go away. Yesterday on a 130 mile run it happened multiple times, and each time I did the mute and volume trick and it was fine for a bit. On the way back home, it did it 10 minutes in and let it go. It never stopped"reading". I am not sure what it is doing, and why now? My system is 1.21.0.4, I see there is a newer version out but not able to do the update as it did not recognize the drive. I only listen to music on a thumb drive.

I assume the new update may not help as it was only a few months after the version I have. And it was fine till this weekend. Not like HD logged in and tweaked things on my bike!

Hoping someone has some knowledge or advice. It seems to play and function fine, just getting the "reading" message.

I also power down the Boom before shutting bike off, it is now the normal routine. Turn it on after the bike has run for a minute or more, if I don't it will be "reading" immediately.
Good morning. The latest software I see on the 4.3 is 1.22.01. So, I might recommend you do indeed complete an update first.

Some folks try to update with a file that contains more than the ISO file. I too have made that mistake. So, try this. Download the file from the Harley site. Once done, then make sure you extract all.

Put a clean flash drive in - make sure nothing else is on that file. From your extraction, look for the ISO file. Copy that to your flash drive.

Next, insert the drive into the bike, turn to ACC and let it run. New file should load.

Next thing to look at, after the new update is done. How large is your music flash drive. On my 2014, if the drive was more than 32, I kept getting reading message. So, I stayed with 32.

Good luck

Old 05-24-2023, 10:23 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by chopper_man
"reading" happens every time you plug a new USB device in, could be your phone, ipod or memory stick (thumb drive).

If you are using it as a phone charging port, don't, that's not what it's designed for, it's a media port. While true, it can charge some phones, there are a lot that it won't, it simply doesn't have the wattage to do. Use a dedicated charger.

If you have music stored on your phone, copy it over to a thumb drive and leave it plugged in.
That is the thing, I use a thumb drive and never remove it during the riding season. I will remove it during the winter to use elsewhere or update. So once it is installed in April it stays until October.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:30 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Good morning. The latest software I see on the 4.3 is 1.22.01. So, I might recommend you do indeed complete an update first.

Some folks try to update with a file that contains more than the ISO file. I too have made that mistake. So, try this. Download the file from the Harley site. Once done, then make sure you extract all.

Put a clean flash drive in - make sure nothing else is on that file. From your extraction, look for the ISO file. Copy that to your flash drive.

Next, insert the drive into the bike, turn to ACC and let it run. New file should load.

Next thing to look at, after the new update is done. How large is your music flash drive. On my 2014, if the drive was more than 32, I kept getting reading message. So, I stayed with 32.

Good luck
I attempted to do the update and I got the message of no media or no readable media installed. I have yet to try a different thumb drive, and yes the thumb drive only had the ISO file on it. So I am not sure what the problem is there.

Thanks for the replies, I will give it one more shot to update the software and if it does not want to cooperate that way or still gives me issues. I will just deal with it. Not like it is affecting the performance, just a nuisance to see the "Reading" scrolling across the top of the screen.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:31 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

I attempted to do the update and I got the message of no media or no readable media installed. I have yet to try a different thumb drive, and yes the thumb drive only had the ISO file on it. So I am not sure what the problem is there.

Thanks for the replies, I will give it one more shot to update the software and if it does not want to cooperate that way or still gives me issues. I will just deal with it. Not like it is affecting the performance, just a nuisance to see the "Reading" scrolling across the top of the screen.
If you got No readable media installed, then, you are on the right track. The ISO file is not a media file.

So, my suggestion - upload to a new flash drive. Again, only the ISO file there. Turn the bike to ACC - give the Nav time to boot up. Oce the Nav is up, plug the drive in and wait.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:41 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Figured I would reply to my own thread, just to update what I found. I finally got the bike to accept a thumb drive, it took the update, and after a 370 mile ride yesterday not once did it go into the "Reading" scrolling message on top of the screen. This is great, and apparently the new version made a difference. It is possible that just a reflash of the old version may have done it as well. I still find it hard to believe that as of May 2023 this unit went into that mode, after years of no problem and even a good month (1200 miles) of riding this year, But what do I know, the update took care of the issue.

Thanks to all for the advice/help!

Old 06-06-2023, 07:43 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Figured I would reply to my own thread, just to update what I found. I finally got the bike to accept a thumb drive, it took the update, and after a 370 mile ride yesterday not once did it go into the "Reading" scrolling message on top of the screen. This is great, and apparently the new version made a difference. It is possible that just a reflash of the old version may have done it as well. I still find it hard to believe that as of May 2023 this unit went into that mode, after years of no problem and even a good month (1200 miles) of riding this year, But what do I know, the update took care of the issue.

Thanks to all for the advice/help!
Glad to hear it worked. What did you do differently?

Old 06-06-2023, 09:33 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Glad to hear it worked. What did you do differently?
Not sure if you mean what I did to finally get the new version installed or what I did. I installed the updated version of the Boom, but as mentioned nothing was wrong with the old version until a few weeks ago. So the only thing I did to get it to stop scrolling the "Reading" across the top was to update the version to the latest and apparently last update we will get.

Quick Reply: Reading issue