Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Paulster66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amp suggestions?

Needs some help in deciding which amp to use. I have upgraded the fairing speakers to the J&M Rokker 7 1/4. The sound is way better than the upgraded Boom audio speakers. Cleaner sound. I do not have an amp yet and was looking to add the new Harley bagger lids and speakers. Looking to add an amp to drive all four speakers. The J&M 4 channel seems a little overboard. Would the Boom Audio 4 channel amp be a good choice, pros or cons any any other options? I like the clean look of the new Harley Lid speaker kit, it seems very clean. I was looking at a set on a new CVO at the dealer, flows nicely and not overbearing.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The HD amp is 40W per channel; the HK head unit is 20W; so, you're doubling the power of your system with the HK head unit. That said, 40W per channel is pretty modest power for an add-on amp.

If you weren't already in the $$$ with the J&M Rokker speakers, I'd suggest you use the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp--75W per channel, four-channels--and it's a 4 ohm impedance amp which isn't compatible with the J&M's you already have and costs about $200.

Suggestion: Post your question in the Touring forum; it will get far more views and responses. This audio forum is relatively new and gets much less action. Questions like the ones you've asked here are posted there all the time.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-03-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:58 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

J&M 4 channel amp is killer. Love it!

As far as the speaker lids. Someone posted here a couple of days ago (can't remember who) that they actually spoke to J&M at a show and they were honest enough to basically tell him that they look good and they sound good when you're sitting still but at highway speeds, you lose most of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
CoyoteQuick
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paulster...
J&M audio systems are a bit above Harleys different varieties, when you went with J&M you kept the 2ohm set up, which is the same as Harleys. It's best if you stay in that 2ohm value. Most amps out there that are touted for motorcycles are scaled down Marine grade 4ohm systems that have beed derived from cars and trucks, DON'T MIX OHM VALUES, it sounds terrible and it hurts you components. The lower ohm value systems are somewhat new to the market and improvements are a gimmie. Stick with what you have, because no matter how loud you make it, you're gonna want it louder...and trust me...better stuff is coming.