Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound System Search

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
wendon65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound System Search

I have finally matured! I sold the wideglide and purchased my first Touring bike. 2012 FLHTP, under 4000 miles. The police radio is out and I am looking to install a radio that is ipod compatible. Any ideas on what I am going to need and what radio to look at? Sony seems to have a good marine grade radio with an Ipod function. Am I going to need a radio kit as well?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

don't worry yourself about marine grade stuff because 1.) you'll pay more for nothing more than a thin protective coating on the circuit board 2.) you get less features and functionality with marine grade stuff 3.) they don't last any longer than standard devices do.

Sony DSX-S210BTX
Sony DSX-S310BTX

Both of these devices, the iPod/iPhone (not iPhone 5) fits inside the face of the radio in a media tray out of the way and out of the weather.

Only difference between the 2 is bluetooth.

If your bike has handlebar controls for audio, you'll need a biketronics retro or other brand kit to allow the handlebar controls to control the radio if you want that.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM
jwk784
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra,

So you don't recommend using a marine grade stereo?

If that's the case then it seems to me that I have a lot more options in putting a radio in my 11 FLHTP.

I typically don't like Sony audio products. I used to work for Circuit City in college and (with an employee discount) spent a lot of money on home/car audio systems. I've always been a fan of Alpine stereos and Polk speakers. I know that all Polk speakers are all marine rated, but Alpine's Marine radio sucks.

I really don't want a big ugly splash cover on my stereo all the time... do they pop on and off so I can put it on during bath time? Do you typically worry about getting the radio wet?

I'm also debating between getting Polk's two-way 6.5" speakers or possibly their 6.5" components and putting the tweeters where the 2 missing gauges are on the Police Bikes.

To the OP... Sorry for jacking your thread, but considering we're putting stereos in the same bikes I figured you would also benefit from this information. :-)

Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a splash cover if you plan to spray the radio and in inner fairing--I never found that necessary.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wendon65
I have finally matured! I sold the wideglide and purchased my first Touring bike. 2012 FLHTP, under 4000 miles. The police radio is out and I am looking to install a radio that is ipod compatible. Any ideas on what I am going to need and what radio to look at? Sony seems to have a good marine grade radio with an Ipod function. Am I going to need a radio kit as well?
I wouldn't concern myself with marine grade. They nothing more than a radio with a coating on the internal circuit board. They're usually more $ and less features to boot and don't last any longer than a non-marine grade headunit.

As for the headunit, find what suits your liking for features and functionality. If you already have handlebar controls, then you'll need a biketronics or hawg-wired handlebar control kit but you'll need to check with BT or HW to make sure your chosen headunit is compatible.