Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Primetime_2
where is the best place to put a 2nd? and how? I may do bag lids some day down the road and would need a 2nd or go to the 4 channel RF
Check out this link for a second amp mount. Another forum member used the Hogtunes 2nd amp mount, which mounts on the brake side of the fairing, vertically. Haven't personally tried it, but contemplating it myself to run my rear pods. Looks more appealing than trimming down my guage bezels and trying to mount two side by side (which also can be done)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ing-plate.html

Keep in mind that, If you decide to switch to the 300x4 instead of adding a second amp in the future, you are going to also need to replace your fairing speakers at that point. The MM651's won't work with the 300x4 as it is not 2 ohm stable.

Have fun.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultra rider2012
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got something in my email not long ago from Amazon (I think) about the Rockford BR amps it said that Rockford recommends that you run the ground wire from the Amp to the negative side of the battery Not to the forks. They said something about the ground path wasnt good through the bearings and it was causing problems. I will post the email when I get home.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah I'd like to see that email please. Can you forward to me at ultranutz at outlook dot com please.

Originally Posted by Ultra rider2012
I got something in my email not long ago from Amazon (I think) about the Rockford BR amps it said that Rockford recommends that you run the ground wire from the Amp to the negative side of the battery Not to the forks. They said something about the ground path wasnt good through the bearings and it was causing problems. I will post the email when I get home.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

If you've got a SG model then I see no reason this hogtunes amp plate will not work for you. On the Ultras, I don't see how it will work.. Too much wiring in there...

Originally Posted by Primetime_2
where is the best place to put a 2nd? and how? I may do bag lids some day down the road and would need a 2nd or go to the 4 channel RF

Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sire2Twins
Check out this link for a second amp mount. Another forum member used the Hogtunes 2nd amp mount, which mounts on the brake side of the fairing, vertically. Haven't personally tried it, but contemplating it myself to run my rear pods. Looks more appealing than trimming down my guage bezels and trying to mount two side by side (which also can be done)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ing-plate.html

Keep in mind that, If you decide to switch to the 300x4 instead of adding a second amp in the future, you are going to also need to replace your fairing speakers at that point. The MM651's won't work with the 300x4 as it is not 2 ohm stable.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info! looks like it will be another RF amp and 2-6X9's of my liking down the road sometime!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Ultra rider2012
Advanced

well I cant upload it here. I did forward it to Ultranutz. Let me know if you don't get it.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM
EZ STREET
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Thankz for the heads up planing on doning the install Friday night

Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
ironman2011
Road Captain

Just throwing it out there. On the grounding "through the bearings" issue, am I correct in saying that you would be fine if you ground to the frame say right in front of the fuel tank? It takes the bearings out of the equation.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ironman2011
Just throwing it out there. On the grounding "through the bearings" issue, am I correct in saying that you would be fine if you ground to the frame say right in front of the fuel tank? It takes the bearings out of the equation.
you would be correct...

Quick Reply: Upgrading my Stereo