Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paging Dr. Ultranutz

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:08 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,735 Likes on 3,504 Posts
Default Paging Dr. Ultranutz

I just received an ELF E-2125XN Amp and a PAC SNI-35 Adapter that I bought used. What's the purpose of the PAC Adapter? My Sony DT-660 has RCA outputs, can't I just connect those to the RCA inputs on the amp? (99% sure I can, just don't know what part the PAC plays in the equation)

I'm thinking the PAC is for head units that don't have RCA outputs.

Also, my speakers are currently connected from the OEM harness to the Sony DT-660 via the Biketronics adapter. Do I have to disconnect the speaker output wires if I use the RCA outputs?

Jim

Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you don't need it. It's to convert high level (speaker) outputs from the head unit to RCA outputs.

The speakers will need to be connected directly to the ELF amp outputs.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Thanks

As easy as that, Ok how about something a little harder?

Using my DMM, I turn up the gain until the voltage stops rising, then stop there? I assume I only have to connect the DMM to one output, doesn't matter if it's left or right? I don't have a "Tone" sample, so I just put my HU at the flat or base setting and turn the Radio on? Does it matter how loud?

I have a 3 position switch...low pass filter...full....high pass filter for crossover, what do I set it to? There is an adjustment for the LPF and HPF as well. LPF range is 150 to 30 and up....HPF range is 180 to 50 and up.

And last but not least, Bass Boost, 3 settings, 0dB...9dB and 18dB, I assume that setting is user preference?

oh yeah, I guess I will need special RCA patch cords, designed for amps? Hopefully I can get a pair that are fairly short.

Thanks, Jim

Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

you can't properly set your gains with a DMM without a test tone. You need a constant voltage output and you're not going to get that from any other source of audio besides a given tone at a given frequency. If you can use the test tone, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE your speakers are not connected as you WILL destroy them piping this tone into them. Take a look at the sticky for setting your gains by ear if you don't have a test tone to use.

The crossover filter and frequency settings - it's a matter of preference. You won't use LP at all. This is for subs. So after you get your gains set, then adjust from FP to HP, and adjust the frequency to see/hear the differences. What you'll find by switching to HP is you'll knock out most of the low end bass that your speakers are capable of reproducing.

Bass boost - IMO I'd leave it alone at 0db. These 6.5" speakers are not capable of handling a ton of low end bass. If you're dealing with 6x9s or larger then you should adjust your bass boost accordingly.

RCA patch cords - 3' cheap RCA patch cord from walmart are more than adequate but most opt for a more pricier RCA. IMO, it's a motorcycle; you're not going to realize the difference between a $6 and a $50 patch cord in this environment.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Test Tone

[quote=UltraNutZ;11555076]you can't properly set your gains with a DMM without a test tone. You need a constant voltage output

Is there anywhere to download a test tone? I could put it on a USB stick and use that

Jim

I just found the test tone in the sticky, thanks for all you help!

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 07-23-2013 at 03:16 PM.