Carburetor Related Find discussions on carburetor related goodies here. Swap and trades? Rebuild information and tuning for the pre EFI systems.

Mikuni Hsr 42 problems!!! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

Originally Posted by heavenlykid

thats is the problem it never happens at the same
time sometimes it’s when I’m on the throttle
say the highway and then let off and back on say a slow in traffic then other times it’s when I start it sometimes
when just sitting at an idle some times when trying to climb on it. I’m gonna replace the Voes and I’ll keep you all updated. The last person I had check my
carb dropped my pilot from a 25 to a 20 and my main from a 180 to a 165. It was running super rich before. My biggest fear now is if the Voes fixes it then my bike is gonna be running super lean!
I think your jets are a little small.. Lean....... especially the pilot, go back to the 25 and maybe a 170.... It's all trial and error when you swap out carbs on a stock or any motor..... Coughing or sneezing is usually a lean condition.. Did it do it with the other jets in it...? Also only change one jet at a time....

One thing you can do to test the voes is disconnect the wire to it so it doesn't ground and take it for a ride to see if it still does it or anything changes....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 05-20-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 PM
heavenlykid
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it was jetted higher or bigger it was worse! I ordered the VOES to change it out I’m not getting a bad reading when I bench test it but every one swears that’s what’s wrong I’ll keep ya posted!

Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,812 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Did you put a smaller accel pump nozzle in? I a running a 17.5 on pilot also are you running the leaner needle as well (98) set it on middle rung on needle & drop the 70 AP nozzle to a #50 this is a Joe Minton kit I run a street cam (.510)on a 95" Deuce with VH pipes , free flowing AC ,and it runs great, 1.75 turns out on the air intake screw and no decel pop.I was getting that between 2200-2700 on tach w/ decel and down shifting.

Try reading this if yu have time http://granbygarage.com/gilroy/techi...%20Forever.pdf , it may help you, also see if Steve is still advising when you call Mikuni cust svce, he is patient and good at problem solving the carb especially if yu can parlay your specific issues your having. I will say this,PITA tinkering around with it BUT when yu do dial it in it will work well and the gas mileage works very well. Im getting 42mpg and im running 70-75 mph I picked up a few extra miles per gallon by also swapping out my trans pulley to a 34Tooth vs the 32 OEM I have a 5 spd trans.and it knocked rpms down about 300-400,my 4th gear is my drive gear and 5th is kinda like an OD sort of . Now the bike runs better than the CV that originally had on it, better accel,but thats just my impression, Also as others posted CHECK FOR LEAKS and good on you for testing VOES too. Stick with it, you'll get it and when you do you'll love that carb. YMMV

Last edited by Torky_SOB; 05-21-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a link a member gave me once... http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/hsr_tuningmanual_021003.pdf

It can be helpful.

The following users liked this post:
heavenlykid (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:38 AM
heavenlykid
Advanced
Default Update Its finally FIXED!!!!

Ok here an update. The VOES was actually fine so after much aggravation and head ache. And calling Mikuni. The tech guy I talked to said find the vacuum leak. I proceeded to tell him there was no vacuum leak and he assured me there was. After 5-10 mins of debating his opinion stood, it had to be a vacuum leak. So i proceeded to remove all my vacuum lines one by one checking them as I went. Lo and Behold the vacuum line running from the plastic T down to the VOES had a crack in it. Replaced it retuned the carb and TADA now she runs like a well oiled machine. Thanks for all your help guys its much appreciated!

Old 06-07-2018, 06:40 AM
heavenlykid
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torky_Sob
Did you put a smaller accel pump nozzle in? I a running a 17.5 on pilot also are you running the leaner needle as well (98) set it on middle rung on needle & drop the 70 AP nozzle to a #50 this is a Joe Minton kit I run a street cam (.510)on a 95" Deuce with VH pipes , free flowing AC ,and it runs great, 1.75 turns out on the air intake screw and no decel pop.I was getting that between 2200-2700 on tach w/ decel and down shifting.

Try reading this if yu have time http://granbygarage.com/gilroy/techi...%20Forever.pdf , it may help you, also see if Steve is still advising when you call Mikuni cust svce, he is patient and good at problem solving the carb especially if yu can parlay your specific issues your having. I will say this,PITA tinkering around with it BUT when yu do dial it in it will work well and the gas mileage works very well. Im getting 42mpg and im running 70-75 mph I picked up a few extra miles per gallon by also swapping out my trans pulley to a 34Tooth vs the 32 OEM I have a 5 spd trans.and it knocked rpms down about 300-400,my 4th gear is my drive gear and 5th is kinda like an OD sort of . Now the bike runs better than the CV that originally had on it, better accel,but thats just my impression, Also as others posted CHECK FOR LEAKS and good on you for testing VOES too. Stick with it, you'll get it and when you do you'll love that carb. YMMV
Steve is the tech i talked to at mikuni hes pretty damn good and professional as well!!! And when he says find the vacuum leak well just find the vacuum leak LOL.

The following users liked this post:
tgaetto (06-07-2018)