Classic All 'historic' bikes.

1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

yah ,eharlyparts.com is where i found the belt guard decal sticker, but 200 $ is a little steep ! i found a seller on eBay who engraves point covers but would not replicate an FXDG point cover for me because of copy right laws, may be you could give me your contact for the point cover? thats the first real close up of the original point cover that I've seen, thanks for sharing...by the photos i see that you have the H-D electronic ignition i converted mein back to points to points to avoid the cost of replacing the ignition black box, when i powder coated my frame i removed the mounting plate, looks a lot cleaner, was able to replace the carb with a non vacuum one to get rid of the V.O.E.S. switch for the vacuum advance

Last edited by troy montoya; 02-18-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think mr.lexus had a more accurate points cover made by the same guy that did mine. Maybe he will share a picture if he sees this.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:40 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
I think mr.lexus had a more accurate points cover made by the same guy that did mine. Maybe he will share a picture if he sees this.
I'd sell the engraved one I had made. I took it off after making an awesome reproduction.

Last edited by mrlexus; 02-19-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by troy montoya
Hi shovhd, yes that is a wrinkle Finnish paint, it was done by a shop heir in Germany , i think it came out quite well, cant wait to see the completed motor , i am going to try some time this week to swing by the shop thats building my engine so i can take some more photos as the motor gets put together rear rocker box with wrinkle paint, i think they did really good job !!!
Don't forget to polish up those fin tips! Some spots on certain fins weren't polished, so pay attention to detail.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Originally Posted by mrlexus

I'd sell the engraved one I had made. I took it off after making an awesome reproduction.
Can you give me the name & contact of the guy that you had that made the reproduction points cover ? thanks for the picture of this one !

Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus

That cover looks great! Did you make that yourself? You got some talent.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain

Originally Posted by shovhd
That cover looks great! Did you make that yourself? You got some talent.
No, that’s the engraved one I would sell. I made this one. I’m fussy, so I needed the exact contouring on it. I used an actual stock points cover.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

hi Mr Lexus , how much do you want for the engraved point cover ? or have you already made a deal with shovhd ? the one you made looks excellent you could send me a private message if you like

Last edited by troy montoya; 02-20-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Originally Posted by troy montoya
hi Mr Lexus , how much do you want for the engraved point cover ? or have you already made a deal with shovhd ? the one you made looks excellent you could send me a private message if you like
have tried several times to send a private message asking for postage costs , not sure if you got the messages ,if so pardon the repeat messages if not please let me know if you sent the point cover with postage costs, thanks Troy

Old 02-24-2018, 07:58 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

hi folks heirs a photo of my motor going back together heads were out getting new valve seats put in , i think the motor should be done in a week or 2 motor coming together , putting in a metal breather, oil pump had some issues , will put on a new one...

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread