Custom Models All custom bikes.

Choosing an engine for build

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
ridesapaint
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing an engine for build

Hello, and thanks for the warm welcome I got from everyone who welcomed me in the new members area.
I have my rolling chassis for a custom softail build, my first from the ground up, and my first big twin. I have basically narrowed my choice to two, maybe three engines. First is Demon's modified Ultima 113 El Bruto, or "Demon 114" I think it's called, which is basically the Ultima 127 with a 4" stroke. The second is the Ultima 127 El Bruto. The third engine, and maybe my first choice is an S&S 96 inch with IST ignition. The big power is very, very attractive, almost seductive, but money is a key factor in choosing, so I am not going for the super-engines. S&S is the best from what I have learned so far, but I do have a tight budget, and I want reliability and longevity.
I know I will get all sorts of opinions, and you're all encouraged to share yours. Does anyone have experience with the Ultimas? They are USA made with nice materials and components, and seem to be doing something right to have so many out there.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

From everything I have read, engine life goes downhill fast when you get bigger than 96" with an Evo...even S&S says so. You may consider the "fatso" engines that have an Evo bottom end with a twin cam top. Warranty should be your main consideration when buying an aftermarket engine. From my experience with Ultima parts, don't think I would buy an engine from them.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM
dcdr
Cruiser

bevis and butthead kick ***... i miss the 90's

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM
SplinterMC
Advanced

You will get a **** ton of opinions but I just dropped a 113" Ultima off in my softail and I tell ya it was one of the best investments I made. I was gonna go S&S but Ultima had a hell of a deal and warranty was better than S&S. And power OMFG the back tire breaks loose and not even meaning to its kinda rediculous. To much power but I looove it. Anyway happy hunting and goodluck with whatever you choose.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I would stay away from Demons.....Way too much bad press.

I know a few guys with the Ultima 127.... Lots of power....

Randy at SMC (Southern Motorcycle Works) does great things with the Ultima..... You should start there

The USA made thing on the Ultima is a source of great debate...

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 AM
hyPerhog
Cruiser

whats the biggest you can make a 96 inch by changing out the piston only? just curious as to the most cubic inches thats acheivable from a 96.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
boosteddelslow
Tourer

I think that the max you can go is 107 ci with just a top end kit on a tc96. I believe after that the cases need to be clearenced.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with 107. Most bang for the buck.
Ron

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

We're talking about an evo build here.....not a twin cam.. For the money, he can't beat the prices on an Ultima right now....

Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
ridesapaint
6th Gear

From what I gather so far, S&S is top quality and you pay for it, Ultima is great all around for bang vs buck, and as for Demon's... well, the answer is in their name, their 114 is not found anywhere else, and probably for good reason.
Thanks for the input everyone. As for prices, an engine (pretty much any Ultima engine but not the 140), 6-speed tranny, almost any belt drive and a starter can be had for less that $5K at Jireh Cycle, and service is good as well (according to some forums I found on other sites). No other supplier comes close to the price, but I don't know if it ships directly from factory, or from the supplier. My guess is they have the factory ship it out to avoid some freight fees and that savings is passed along to us.

Quick Reply: Choosing an engine for build