Detailing Discuss keeping your bike looking brand new here.

Anyone here use a storage bubble ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here use a storage bubble ?

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio and i keep my bike in an uninsullated & unheated garage and last year was the first time i stored it in there (05' carb'd Fatboy/ bought used in 06') and anyway i could not believe the condensation that would build up even though it was covered with a Harley lined cover. Your thoughts on them if you own & use one ??? Thanks !

Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer
Default RE: Anyone here use a storage bubble ?

I have not but a friend had one and loved it

Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those, but that's just me. (It looks too much like one of those oxygen chambers Michael Jackson sleeps in.) Be sure your cover is breatheable and lets air circulate around your bike and that should go a long way toward eliminating the condensation. (Dowco makes some excellent vented bike covers) Then after getting a good cover, why not spend the $$ you saved to insulate the garage?

Old 09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have used the bubble for the last 7 years and love it. I hook up a battery tender wax it up inflate the bubble and come back in spring. Unfortunately the bubble is just around the corner again.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 AM
CopperTop
Intermediate

I just purchased a 2008 Ultra three months ago and lastweekplaced the bike under a HD bubble in my unheated garage.Likewise, I hooked aBattery Tender to the bike. So far, I like what I see, plenty of air flowing over the bike and out the bubble.

I used to store a vette under a top quality cover that allowed moisture to evaperate but, was to keep out dust. Every year in the spring after I removed the cover there wassome areas of dust that got through the cover.

I decided the bubble wasthe way to go with my Ultra, and so far I am veryhappy. Spring time will tell the whole story.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

You'll be surprised how much dust will be sucked in and all over your bike. I cut up a cheapo furnace filter and placed it inside the foam filter, it helps some. Really putting the bike in the bubble is a three person operations to keep the plastic (which sticks to the bike) off the bike.

I have the large Touring bubble and my SERK barely fits in there, I have no space in the front where the fan is and only maybe 3-4" in the rear of the bubble. I don't know how they helly they get a UC in there!?!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM
CopperTop
Intermediate

I am going to leave the filter as is for now. I have no problem with dist so far after only three in the bubble.

Bpalmershim, how many seasons have you added this furnace filter and does the furnace filter cause the fan to work harder? I do not want toprematurly burn-out the fan by placing a restrictionon the flow of air.

I had no problem placing my Ultra in the turing bubble by myself. I do agree that two feet longer would give me better space as my bike's rear tour-pak is slightly up against the plactic buble materal, but the front tirehas about four inches of clearence. I will do a better job next year now that I know how to position the bike. I am mostly concerned with rust and condensationthat comes with cotton covers and should not be aa problem with the bubble.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I hung an army surplus parachute down from my garage ceiling, covering both my bikes. Then I put a small fan inside. It runs all winter, blowing air over the bikes and keeping condensation away.