Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clatter!!!

Old 08-11-2015, 07:22 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Clatter!!!

2013 wide glide, 103, PC-V, Stage 1, Map by Fuel Moto, H-D syn oil all 3 holes, 3400 miles, 35-43 MPG.
I am experiencing a rather loud clatter when when my engine is fully warmed up. It is present at all rpms. It's not pinging(preignition) and does not sound like lifters ticking. Sounds more like clacking. Like smacking two boards together. No problems when it is cooler out, ( it runs like a bear @ 50 deg F) but very pronounced when the engine is hot or under load.
I did not have this sound until I started running Syn oil. Oil pressure is 30# cruising and 7-10# at idle.
Is this common for syn oil? I ran dino for the first 2k miles and had no problems. Tuning? Or is the bike just giving me a standing ovation?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:14 PM
JMummery
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley oil is junk..its probably to thin for the bike..if you didn't have the noise until you used the oil than you have your answer..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

If the noise started when you changed the oil, try another oil and see how it sounds. Even another synthetic may work better. Don't get stuck on the HD kool aid.
If it still persists then you can look for more expensive, mechanical reasons.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread in the touring section that may apply,very interesting, may be rocker arm shafts.
Stan

Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by joe40x
2013 wide glide, 103, PC-V, Stage 1, Map by Fuel Moto, H-D syn oil all 3 holes, 3400 miles, 35-43 MPG.
I am experiencing a rather loud clatter when when my engine is fully warmed up. It is present at all rpms. It's not pinging(preignition) and does not sound like lifters ticking. Sounds more like clacking. Like smacking two boards together. No problems when it is cooler out, ( it runs like a bear @ 50 deg F) but very pronounced when the engine is hot or under load.
I did not have this sound until I started running Syn oil. Oil pressure is 30# cruising and 7-10# at idle.
Is this common for syn oil? I ran dino for the first 2k miles and had no problems. Tuning? Or is the bike just giving me a standing ovation?
I've never been a fan of synth oils in an HD, I'll use my '13 Wide Glide for a comparison; I have none of the noises you're describing, I'm running SAE 50 Valvoline VR1 oil. I'm running a Jerzee oil pressure gauge, 42# cruising and around 15# at idle which is lowered via the Power Vision. When I first bought this new WG I did try 20w-50 on the first change which was the day she came home off the dealer's floor but the top end was way noisier than I liked so as I've done with all my other older HD's, I moved to the SAE 50 rather quickly. The way I see it these are still old school air cooled engines and the VR1 has high zinc/phosphorus content additives that are beneficial to their design. I'd begin by changing your engine oil and make a comparison of your top end noises and oil pressure reading.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noise too...spent time and money replacing lifters, pushrods, etc.

Does not matter what oil...I settled on Mobile1 synthetic 20w50. I just ride the **** out of it now and ignore the ticking. these engines are easy to work on so if it blows I'll build another!

My brother's bike has basically the same build as mine and it is quiet as can be.

My point is, what works for one may not work for another...you have to try and see what works for yours out of all the suggestions.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to beat the oil subject into the ground too much, but I've been through this with multiple oils. HD oil is garbage and one of the worst offenders. HD's label on citgo oil I believe is the manufacturer of it. I've done this song and dance and is how I came to liking of the oil I still use today from long ago. I literally went through this same thing after using Syn3. AMSoil did the same exact thing. Clackity clack clack. Harley will tell you Synthetic doesn't have sound "deadening" agents in it as Petroleum oil does. Weird, because I changed that garbage out and went to a different "non sound deadening agent" lol synthetic and all that racket when away. I found what I like to run without a lot of trial and error. Explore your options. There's a lot better ones out there.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

If it's louder under load, that suggests it's not the valvetrain. Since it's not present when cold, that suggests it's not piston slap from a loose piston.
Have you checked for exhaust leaks?

Old 08-12-2015, 03:39 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

I changed the oil today to 50 wt and checked for an exhaust leak. No leak. Still sounds like it's coming apart! Collapsed lifters? I would guess tuning, but the plugs look OK. It's got me stumped.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Can you pinpoint more accurately the area the noise is coming from? (mechanics stethoscope, or hose with one end to ear, etc.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clatter!!!