Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ICM. No Spark! Won't enter learn procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:11 AM
Steen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ICM. No Spark! Won't enter learn procedure

Guys,

This 05 carb'd FXD has me stumped. Here's what was left for me to figure out when it arrived:
  • Not getting any spark to rear cylinder
  • Stock ICM melted
  • Ignition Coil melted
Here's what I've done so far:
  • New Harley Ignition coil (for carb'd model)
  • New Ignition wires
  • New NGK Spark Plugs
  • New ICM
  • New regulator
When I plug back in the stock ICM, I am still not getting any spark to the rear cylinder. I would think if the Crankshaft position sensor was bad, the bike wouldn't start at all. Hell... that's the only thing that's left in the ignition that isn't new aside from the switch.

In the manual, it talks about the learning procedure when installing a new ICM, TSSM or TSM. However, one of the very first steps is to start your bike and it will stall out throwing a P1009 code. I can't even get the bike to spark at all with the new ICM?? Is it possible that I got a DOA unit?

I ran every electrical test in the manual related to the ignition and it's pointing me to a new ICM.. which I already put in or so I thought. Any other ideas before I either have to drag this thing up to Harley or try another ICM from eBay? I've read online that some guys have had to have Harley program the new ICM with their computer no matter what they've tried.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Is it possible that somehow the ICM thinks the engine is hot and is shutting the rear cylinder down on purpose? Just a thought, check the engine temp sensor. Or .. maybe the coil or one of the wires to the coil or the connector to the coil? Good luck.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:22 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Cam sensor

Old 02-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Steen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope neither one. Just following up so someone else doesn't have to pull their hair out following the shop manual. I guess common sense goes a long way, but you would think that a simple sentence in the manual telling you that a new ICM needs to be flashed with firmware before it will do anything would have been helpful. The manual simply states:
Install new TSM/TSSM or ECM/ICM.
Perform all steps under 8.20 TSM/TSSM
KEY FOB AND CODE ASSIGNMENT.

Anyway, had to trailer it down to Harley and they charged me half hour rate to flash the ICM and marry the ICM to the TSSM. Problem solved. No other way around it. I suppose if you bought a used ICM for the same model and year bike you would only have to do the Password Learn without digital technician.

Cheers!