Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining gas

Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Draining gas

I did do a search but didn't quite find what I was looking for. Looking for the easiest, safest, cleanest way to drain a tank. I am willing to buy something if necessary. I'm just starting to work on my bike and it will pretty much just be my hands (no one else to help) so whatever makes it easier...

Old 03-03-2016, 09:42 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I just pull the fuel line from the carb, set the petcock to reserve, and let it drain into a bucket. There will still be a little in there, but not much.

Fuel injection, though...on a car, I disconnect at the fuel rail and then hot wire the fuel pump to push the fuel out. I never had a FI bike.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:47 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
I am willing to buy something if necessary.
The Service Manual for your bike would be a darn good start, it will explain "how to" with photo's and diagrams to not just this issue but many other things your going to want to know.
For Real, buy the Service manual.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnMn
The Service Manual for your bike would be a darn good start, it will explain "how to" with photo's and diagrams to not just this issue but many other things your going to want to know.
For Real, buy the Service manual.
Thanks, I did purchase it. I guess I should have started there. I assumed that it would have just said "remove the fuel" and not actually have given instructions on how to do so.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:14 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need either a small pump or be willing to syphon the tank with a hose ( which means you will get to enjoy the taste of gas !) One way or the other there will be some residual gas in the tank so a well ventilated area and no smoking or sparks even electrical sparks could light you up!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

You can take two small vice grips, pinch off the cross-over tube--

(minding not to pinch the tubes coming off the tank but just the hoses)--

--cut the tube in the middle--

--slide a drain tube over one end at a time and drain into a container.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,508 Likes on 2,133 Posts

When I pulled the tank for paint, I clamped the crossover line under the frame on both sides, put a rag to catch the tiny bit that dripped out and cut the line. Put a bigger hose over one side, released the clamp on that side and drained. Then did the same on the other side.

However I already had a PEX (or sharkbite) clamp tool (from my boat water system work) and picked up a pack of S/S PEX clamps (those one time use hose clamps) and 6" of 1/4" fuel line for when I put it back on.

The tool was about $30 off Amazon and the clamps were a buck or two... Overkill if you don't have to remove the tank, but it did get every last drop out.

EDIT: and of course Suede beat me to it by 2.5 seconds lol.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:54 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Twospot
Thanks, I did purchase it.
Good for you, then you have the factory details.
However, If I was going to remove the tank, I'd do as the fellers above have done and cut/drain at the cross over. I'm pretty sure it would be cleaner that way then trying to catch fuel at the main feed line removing the quick connect.
I haven't done it, but I've heard of guy's having trouble with the O-ring in the quick connect when putting it back together, might look for a rpl O-ring when it's time to re-assemble.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

When you do the X-over method, as I too did, replace the gas line using a couple of stepless clamps, not those cheap assed screw driver activated little trinkets. It doesn't cost any more to do the job properly.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Twospot
Road Captain

Thanks for the great ideas. Sounds like cutting at the crossover is the way to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Draining gas