Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugly or what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:17 AM
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ugly or what?

Is it me or are fairings on Dynas or Sportsters for that matter plain fugly? For a stripped back concept to have an appendage not intended by the designer seems pointless. The only reason I can think of is to reduce wind blast. If so then a tourer will fit the bill. The fairings I have seen on a thread about 'club style Dynas' look very DIY to my eye. Over modding a bike to ruin it's aesthetics is a problem in the motorcycle world. I am fairly new to HD but was attracted partly by the 'beautiful machine' image. No offence meant but ever since I read 'The Emperor's New Clothes ', I have been sensitive to glaring errors of judgement.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I think factory flames are ugly.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (07-12-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:29 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by hd4evr2008:
Jackpoticorn (07-09-2016), Jay Guild (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

glaring errors of judgement

f--- off

The following 2 users liked this post by hell hound:
103luckygreenDude (07-09-2016), PanHeadRich (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:31 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

They have their place...I'm over the "look" myself.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:34 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolaid
I think factory flames are ugly.

883, everyone sees something different with these bikes, we each have a different vision of what the bike is. The Dyna's are the greatest bikes HD builds, they can become almost anything you can imagine; club bike, touring bike, a rolling jewel. Whatever you want, it can be. There are some incredible looking bikes in the Dyna forum that reflect the owners personality.

I don't want a fairing or windscreen myself but there are some great looking bikes with them... now if they just had flames...

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I personally think the 'fairings' complete the look of a lovely machine...b.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

883, everyone sees something different with these bikes, we each have a different vision of what the bike is. The Dyna's are the greatest bikes HD builds, they can become almost anything you can imagine; club bike, touring bike, a rolling jewel. Whatever you want, it can be. There are some incredible looking bikes in the Dyna forum that reflect the owners personality.

I don't want a fairing or windscreen myself but there are some great looking bikes with them... now if they just had flames...
Yeah... Its like that. Well said.

I picked up my Dyna last year, with the intention of going bobber style. Shortly after, I realized that a new Dyna didn't fit just how far I wanted to go into the bobber world. Truly stripped down, rigid frame, zero electronics... Chopping up a brand new, $15,000 bike wasn't going to work for me. After a seat & bar swap, I rode around for a few months enjoying the bike, but the Bare Bones seat, and hand position of my bars made longer rides unenjoyable. Then, I made the mistake of riding a co-workers club style bike. Seat felt great, and locked me in nicely to the bike. wrist angle of the T-bars was incredible. And the feeling of being pealed off the bike at any speed over 65 mph was gone. I have to admit, there is a level of thrill and adrenaline that comes with that **** your pants speed with no wind protection that I do sometimes miss. Anyhow, what I am saying is, my dream bike is a chopped up rigid pan head, and no Dyna will get me that far... So I ended up building something else I really wanted, a performance based HD that I can ride all day in comfort, and corners like its on rails. Actually looks wise, the fairing is my least favorite part of the bike, but it's functional.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:04 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 883
Is it me or are fairings on Dynas or Sportsters for that matter plain fugly? For a stripped back concept to have an appendage not intended by the designer seems pointless. The only reason I can think of is to reduce wind blast. If so then a tourer will fit the bill. The fairings I have seen on a thread about 'club style Dynas' look very DIY to my eye. Over modding a bike to ruin it's aesthetics is a problem in the motorcycle world. I am fairly new to HD but was attracted partly by the 'beautiful machine' image. No offence meant but ever since I read 'The Emperor's New Clothes ', I have been sensitive to glaring errors of judgement.
you'll get over it. i was there a few months back. i miss mine now... i feel empty without it. and i didn't even ride it that much

Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 AM
GVan
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 883
an appendage not intended by the designer seems pointless. The only reason I can think of is to reduce wind blast. If so then a tourer will fit the bill.
Your opinion is fine...
However, keep in mind that the "appendage" was actually intended by the designer on some models.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...ideT-Sport.htm

Also I find your logic that a tourer should fit the bill if one wants to reduce wind blast to be like saying anyone who wants to haul something should have a 1-ton truck and therefore light pickups are pointless.

Quick Reply: Ugly or what?