Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STILL issues warm starting. WTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 AM
Wertz83
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STILL issues warm starting. WTF

Heres the scoop. I have VH big radius, Big sucker intake and VH fuel pak. The bike starts perfectly fine when cold, but after it gets to normal operating temp the damn thing is a bitch to start! It will crank and crank and crank.... Not all the time but most of it. I smell fuel, so Im not sure if its over fueling or something else. I talked to 3 different techs at VH and each one had me change a few settings each time. My throttle response got much better but this damn hard starting when its warm hasn't got any better. Could this be a tuning issue or something else. I don't want to dump a pile of money into things it don't need like maybe a different tuner or possibly having it dyno'd with the tuner I currently have. I have no CEL lights or any other warnings showing up.... It eventually starts but cranks and carries on before it fires...

Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 AM
Wertz83
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wertz83
Heres the scoop. I have VH big radius, Big sucker intake and VH fuel pak. The bike starts perfectly fine when cold, but after it gets to normal operating temp the damn thing is a bitch to start! It will crank and crank and crank.... Not all the time but most of it. I smell fuel, so Im not sure if its over fueling or something else. I talked to 3 different techs at VH and each one had me change a few settings each time. My throttle response got much better but this damn hard starting when its warm hasn't got any better. Could this be a tuning issue or something else. I don't want to dump a pile of money into things it don't need like maybe a different tuner or possibly having it dyno'd with the tuner I currently have. I have no CEL lights or any other warnings showing up.... It eventually starts but cranks and carries on before it fires...
Forgot to mention my bike is a 09 SuperGlide Custom stock motor.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:29 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I've no experience using the V&H FP, running a Power Vision, but the quickest way to know if the problem you're experiencing is a tuning issue would be to flash back to the original stock tune and take her out and see if you can replicate the problem. If your hot start issue is gone running the original tune, you'll know it's indeed the FP tune creating the problem

Old 12-09-2016, 04:36 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Is it the old V&H fuel pack or the new FP3 tuner??

Old 12-09-2016, 05:55 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Sounds to me like your computer does not know the engine is warm. Can you look at engine temp with your tuner? It the computer thinks engine is cold when hot, it will over fuel it, as it does when cold. Easy to check. After you try to start when hot, pull a spark plug and see if it is fuel soaked. I think engine temp sensor may be bad.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:30 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

retune, auto tune...

Old 12-09-2016, 06:55 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ya might try cleaning the IAC, Idle Air Controller........take off the air cleaner, put a shop rag in the throttle body, the IAC is that hole just inside at the 12 oclock position,
Ignition ON, toggle the kill switch off and on while spraying a cleaner up into IAC hole.......this is done with engine OFF.......
engine breather vents into air cleaner, oil gets pulled along with it........this oil gunks up the IAC.....

My 07 EGUC had the same problem.....this fixed it

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 12-09-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I would put the original pipes, cleaner and fuel pak back on, then add the 'mods' one by one to see which is responsible for the problem...b.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Wertz83
Cruiser

Its the original fuel pak. And no it wont tell me temps unfortunately. I thought about just taking the tuner off and running it like that. Allot of people think its my tuner. Im seriously debating getting the fp3 but am afraid ill spend that money for nothing. Ill clean the IAC valve and see if that in fact helps but since i had choppy throttle down low in 1st threw 3rd gear at low rpm im going to assume its tuning issue. Again when the bike throws a fit trying to start it smells of fuel pretty good. When it finally does fire after back firing threw the carb ect... you can see a fuel cloud. Its really getting annoying. I got a beautiful bike and the bitch throws a fit it gets kinda embarrassing around a crowd of people haha

Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would flash the stock tune back in and see how it behaves.

Quick Reply: STILL issues warm starting. WTF