Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Access Wiring Slack to Install Handlebar Risers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 AM
azthunt
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Do I Access Wiring Slack to Install Handlebar Risers

I'm sure the info is on this website someplace but I've done several searches and don't find the info I need. My apologies in advance if it's here.

I'm installing 6 inch handlebar risers on my Wide Glide and there is absolutely zero slack in the wires currently.

I've read that there is up to 14 inches of slack built into the wiring that I can get but I'm not sure how. The service manual talks about removing the seat, instrument panel, gas tank, exhaust, master cylinder, electrical caddy etc. Before I start pulling all this stuff off, I want to make sure it's all necessary.

Can someone please give me some tips on how to get about 6-8 inches of slack in the wires that run to the handle bars.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

What year is your bike,,,

Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

pull it gently

Old 12-28-2016, 11:23 AM
azthunt
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnMn
What year is your bike,,,

2005 Dyna Wide Glide

Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 AM
azthunt
Advanced

2005 Dyna Wide Glide-Fuel Injected

Old 12-28-2016, 11:38 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by azthunt
2005 Dyna Wide Glide-Fuel Injected
Are you trying to pull the slack out of the frame? It should be stuffed in a hole in front of the tank. you can take the rubber frame boot off to make it a little easier to get to.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Take off the seat and remove the rubber plug from the neck. Snip any zip-ties securing the harness in those two locations.

The service loop is at the very back/bottom of the backbone tube (under the seat, just in front of the fender and just above the swingarm pivot) Mine (1999) was doubled over kinda like a smashed goose neck.

You should be able to tug the harness at the neck and see movement of some of the wires under the seat. It's probably a tangled rat's nest under there so make sure nothing is getting hung up while you tug. If you can suss out which wires are involced, you can push and pull at the same time.

Also, check for movement at the injector sub-harness. I don't have an injected bike so I'm not aware how the harness breaks out for those.

Before pulling the harness all the way out, as soon as you have the room at the rear opening, I'd suggest tying some nylon cord or a heavy boot lace tighrly to the harness at/near the bend in the harness under the seat to aid in pulling it back.

Getting it all neatly tucked after service can be frustrating. Be patient.

Last edited by cggorman; 12-28-2016 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
azthunt (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
azthunt
Advanced

Originally Posted by cggorman
Take off the seat and remove the rubber plug from the neck. Snip any zip-ties securing the harness in those two locations.

The service loop is at the very back/bottom of the backbone tube (under the seat, just in front of the fender and just above the swingarm pivot) Mine (1999) was doubled over kinda like a smashed goose neck.

You should be able to tug the harness at the neck and see movement of some of the wires under the seat. It's probably a tangled rat's nest under there so make sure nothing is getting hung up while you tug. If you can suss out which wires are involced, you can push and pull at the same time.

Also, check for movement at the injector sub-harness. I don't have an injected bike so I'm not aware how the harness breaks out for those.

Before pulling the harness all the way out, as soon as you have the room at the rear opening, I'd suggest tying some nylon cord or a heavy boot lace tighrly to the harness at/near the bend in the harness under the seat to aid in pulling it back.

Getting it all neatly tucked after service can be frustrating. Be patient.

This should get me started. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:15 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I thought it was helpful to remove the big rubber plug from the rear fender bulkhead but I already had the rear of the bike torn down so that was easy to get to. Not sure it would be worth taking off the rear tire just for that... Just something to keep in mind.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 AM
M. J.
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost connecters in frame

I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide. After changing the handlebars I was pulling out the electrical cables out of the front part of the frame, and from pulling too much, I accidentally disconnected the cables from the connectors. Now, I have the female connectors inside of a frame about 5 in from the front.

Now I'm aware that there's way to loosen the slack in the back. But I was not aware of that till after the fact. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get the electrical connectors out of the frame?

Would I need to go in from.the back and pull out the electrical cable? If so, how would I be able to get the cables back in the frame after I service them ? Meaning after I connect them. Thanks for your help.