Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crash bar and passing lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:23 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Crash bar and passing lights

I decided I'm ditching the club style look and going tido more of a throw back build to the FXDP but use FXRP bags.

Found a set of FXRP bags on eBay for a pretty good price, they have one spot that's a little dented in but nothing a heat gun and massaging can't fix. Also they need new hinges but some good stainless steel piano hinge will take care of that. The rails that go around them will be custom built as well.

So on to the reason I'm asking about lights on the crash bar. I want to put a little modern feel to the bike and decing about whether to put the 4 1/2" LED passing lights on the fork mounted light bar like the FXDP or put a 6" LED light bar on each side of the crash bar like this.

OR....would putting the 4 1/2" lights mounted on the crash look silly if I chose to do that?

Here is a picture I found of the 6" light bars mounted on the crash bar.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 01-03-2017 at 10:38 AM. Reason: pre-ad removed
Old 01-03-2017, 05:32 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

If it was me I would ditch those ugly stock turn signals and run these...... Kill 2 birds with 1 stone

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252361353729?_...49&_mwBanner=1

Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master

That's not my bike, mine are tucked in closer to the trees. I like them there vs the ones you recommended.

I unfortunately have to drive really dark and sketchy back roads to work when I work early shift. So the more light to see the critters and huge birds that fly around at that time the better.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:38 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
That's not my bike, mine are tucked in closer to the trees. I like them there vs the ones you recommended.

I unfortunately have to drive really dark and sketchy back roads to work when I work early shift. So the more light to see the critters and huge birds that fly around at that time the better.
Well if you need serious light for dark roads and critters you might want to check out Clearwater fog lights. Nothing throws light down the road like a pair of Clearwater lights. They are pricey but you can get model specific mounts for the crash bar, frame, or front tire/ fork mount setup

Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I think the 4.5" will be to big and maybe not look right when using a headlamp almost the same size. Maybe using some driving lights like these by PIAA would be cleaner looking and provide got light with a smaller housing hanging from the engine gaurd.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/657-PIAA-LP270-2-75-LED-Driving-Light-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I just put the DK Custom LED lights on my bike. I haven't taken it out for a ride yet but I think they look good. They still need to be aimed a bit. Only $45. Maybe they'd work on your crash bars.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Mikes145, any pictures with the lights off and how they are mounted?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:44 PM
Feileod
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are my ugly turn signals on my ugly bike thank you very much....and I did ditch them.

The aux lights are just cheapo Led units, bought them on Amazon as a set for less than $30. Did a little creative dremel work and removed one fin on each light so they would mount up to the tab on the Defender crash bar. If you want any better pics, just let me know.

Originally Posted by Dyna_Bagger85
I decided I'm ditching the club style look and going tido more of a throw back build to the FXDP but use FXRP bags.

Found a set of FXRP bags on eBay for a pretty good price, they have one spot that's a little dented in but nothing a heat gun and massaging can't fix. Also they need new hinges but some good stainless steel piano hinge will take care of that. The rails that go around them will be custom built as well.

So on to the reason I'm asking about lights on the crash bar. I want to put a little modern feel to the bike and decing about whether to put the 4 1/2" LED passing lights on the fork mounted light bar like the FXDP or put a 6" LED light bar on each side of the crash bar like this.

OR....would putting the 4 1/2" lights mounted on the crash look silly if I chose to do that?

Here is a picture I found of the 6" light bars mounted on the crash bar.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Feileod
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

OBTW, The lights came with mounting brackets that would easily weld up, or even creative use of a couple of hose clamps, to a standard crash bar, I mounted mine the way I did because the tabs were there already.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Dyna_Bagger85
Road Master

Originally Posted by Feileod
Those are my ugly turn signals on my ugly bike thank you very much....and I did ditch them.

The aux lights are just cheapo Led units, bought them on Amazon as a set for less than $30. Did a little creative dremel work and removed one fin on each light so they would mount up to the tab on the Defender crash bar. If you want any better pics, just let me know.
Can you get one from the side? Curious to see how you have them sitting

Quick Reply: Crash bar and passing lights