Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:00 PM
dvsardina@gmail.com
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?

So I have been searching on how to solve my self induced problem...

I installed a taillight relocation kit and just like a jackass I didnt disconnect the battery. As a result, I have the following problems and I cant find a fix for them anywhere:
2016 Street Bob FXDB
1. Left Brake Light or turn signal
2. Running Lights not working
3. Fuel Guage stopped working and reading "LOW RANGE" although tank is full

I didn't have to cut any wires in order to move the tail lights, so this is really confusing. I did however have to take the connectors off and re attached. no cutting or splicing or soldering needed.

These are the codes I am getting from the ECM
B2153 Left rear turn signal output shorted low
B2156 Right rear turn signal output open
B2168 Running lights output shorted low
Strangely I am not getting a code for the fuel signal reading "LOW RANGE"

There are plently of resources telling me how to clear the codes, but not how to get my taillights and gas gauge working again.

can anyone help with this? I have an appointment at the dealer but its in a week! Dont want her sitting around all weekend....

Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 PM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If you installed a relocation kit and the lights stopped working, sounds like you have a wiring issue. Canbus system on the bike is confirming that.

The exception would be if you've swapped to LEDs. In that case the bike will throw codes (the lights would still work though).

The 2016 has integrated running/turn/brake right? Just the two deals that stick off the end? Did you switch to a different type of system? I know on the newer bikes the dealer can plug in and tell the bike what you've done to compensate for the change. Going to something like the cyclevisions light can require this.

Keep in mind though everything should still work. Doesn't matter what you did or changed to. If the wiring is correct, the lights should work (you would still throw codes). The fact that they aren't is an indication that something went wrong in your wiring. Did you zap a positive on a ground while working? Blow a fuse?

The following users liked this post:
dvsardina@gmail.com (06-26-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Is the left side wired independently? aka; have it's own wires
De-pin and swap the power/ground wires for the left signal,,
Harley wiring doesn't care which side is hot or ground, it's isolated,
,,some LED circuit boards do.
If the ground is fed to the hot side or vice versa,, you'll get the problem you decsribe.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Look at wiring diagram and see which pins are not in the correct position. LED's won't throw a code, they will just flash fast as if a bulb was out. The BCM is trained by using the learning procedure likely included in the install instructions. I.e. Flash hazards for a minute or so, etc. however it seems like miswiring.

Last edited by Mchad; 06-23-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM
dvsardina@gmail.com
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FIXED and THANK YOU!

I wanted to send a big Thank you to my HD Forum Friends for the guiding hand on my issue. Through some hours on service manuals tracing my electrical system, checking trouble codes, checking the manual again, following wires, checking manuals again, googling, and etc...finally someone mentioned a pinched wire, and low & behold, I had a pinched wire.

Once this was resolved, I was back up and running with fuel gauge, running lights, and reare left turn signal. Cleared all codes and we are good as new.

I will post a thread shortly with what I learned on how to install turn signal relocation lights kit on a 2016 Dyna FXDB and some trouble shooting tips as the kit isn't really set up for an easy swap, but a little effort will get you there.

I also added some pics of the wiring for the rear lighting system on the 2016 FXDB Dyna along with the before and after of the bike

Attached Thumbnails Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?-wiring-1.png   Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?-wiring-2.png   Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?-relocation-before.png   Taillight Relocation and Error Codes - How to fix?-relocation-after.png