Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal auto-shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 06:11 AM
VBHOLLAND
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal auto-shut off

Does anyone know how to prevent the turn signals from shutting off automatically after either 1) you have made a turn and are upright, or 2) after they have been on for a period of time on a 2011 FXDB Dyna Street Bob? This is a serious issue for me, and one that will certainly cause an accident (and has nearly done so on multiple occasions).

Old 04-01-2018, 06:53 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

From my 2003 Owners manual:
"If you want the turn signals on longer, hold the switch in....the microprocessor will not begin computing distance until you release the switch"

Old 04-01-2018, 06:55 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

not sure why you would want your turn signal to stay on after making a turn ... to make it stay on longer before making a turn, simply hold the button down longer, the timer does not start until the button is released ... you will learn when to release the button so far ahead of your turn so it doesn't turn off too soon ...

Old 04-01-2018, 07:10 AM
VBHOLLAND
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's reply so far. Here's a couple reasons why i need the blinkers to stay on until I'M READY to shut them off:
1. I ride in Washington DC everyday - traffic is horrible. At one point, i merge into a tunnel from the right side (I-395 S) during rush hour traffic and over a period of 1/4 mile, i have to cross 6 lanes. I turn on my left turn signal, stick out my left arm, and begin crossing. I cannot keep looking at my blinker in hopes that it's still on - i have to watch out for idiots speeding in the lanes i'm trying to cross over (who don't have their lights on in the tunnel). Sometimes i'm shifting up, sometimes i'm shifting down. Depends on the level of stupidy in the traffic. My blinker shuts off without me knowing while i'm still in a lane trying to maneuver over to the next two or three. If i look down at my blinker instead of the crazy drivers, well, i'm road kill.
2. If you've ever ridden in DC, you'll know that I295 North splits to I-695 N. I-695 takes a 90 degree turn to the left. In the middle of that turn, i have to get into the right lane to make my exit. So i turn on my right blinker, but because i'm taking a 90 turn, when i come out of the turn, my blinker shuts off as i'm changing lanes. Again, i cannot be looking at my blinker because i'm maneuvering traffic.
I don't like computers making sure i'm safe. They're making it unsafe.