Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing Dual brembo .484 radial conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:17 AM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Doing Dual brembo .484 radial conversion

I decided to get rid of that crappy PM 6 piston axial caliper on my Dyna and go the dual brake conversion. It got expensive because I have a 21x3.5 inch PM chrome Hooligan up front to match my 18x5.5 in the rear. I never liked the way the 21 inch up front handled. I removed it from my Street Glide when I put a 23 on it. Ordered the 23 with a single disc hub and then swapped out the dual disc hub on one wheel for the single disc on the other. The 21 does look good on the Dyna. But feels sloppy and I put extra force on turns. Dont get me wrong I still lean the bike over like on my sports bikes. But when I ride one of my MC bros Low Rider S with the 19 up front and dual brakes I wish I never went with a 21.

That being said I ordered a
1)19x3 chrome PM Hooligan wheel
2) Brembo radial .484 left and right brake calipers
3) Krause left and right axial to radial mounting brackets
4) Harley right lower leg from a fat bob to mount the bracket and caliper
5) Harley 11/16th master cylinder
6) Magnum shielding upper brake line for dual brakes and the lower dual brake line
7) 120/70/19 Avon tire (rear has plenty of life left. It only has 2k miles) but I wish Dunlop made a 120/70/19 American Elite for the front. Then I would have bought the matching rear
8) 2 PM Hooligan 11.8 brake rotors ( replacing my 11.5)

Today I mounted one of the 11.8 brake rotors , left krause mounting bracket and left brembo radial caliper. I need to bleed the front brake and test it. Once the 11/16th master cylinder, right lower leg and cables come in by end of this week Ill mount everything on the right side with the cables and master cylinder. And ride her until the front wheel comes in which should be in 3 weeks. Mounting the wheel will be simple since all the hard work was done. Ill post pics once i take them tomorrow of how the brembo radial caliper and the Krause axial to radial mount looks. And after I bleed the brakes tomorrow and it doesnt rain Ill test it out and give my feed back on the single radial brake and then after the right side is done ill give feed back on the differences.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 PM
cycler
Road Master

I took it out for a test ride today. And what a difference going from the PM 6 piston axial brake caliper to the Brembo .484 radial brake caliper. Not sure if going from a 11.5 to 11.8 rotor helped a lot but I think it added some better braking. Braking felt more like on my sport bikes. Smoother and far less feeling going through my forks into the steering head and into the bars. The bike stopped so much better. Now I cant wait to add the right side brake. Riding my friends Low rider S with the dual brakes was great. I can just imagine what this set up will feel like once the right side is on as well. I will post pics and a review once the right side is on.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Harleywashboy
Cruiser
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Pics would be cool just so we can see what you're talking about. Also, I noticed you mentioned getting a fat bob rh fork slider. The fender mounting holes are different on the fat bob versus the other 49mm dynas. You can get a 14-17 low rider rh slider. It will be a direct bolt up fit.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:11 PM
cycler
Road Master
Default braking

Originally Posted by Harleywashboy
Pics would be cool just so we can see what you're talking about. Also, I noticed you mentioned getting a fat bob rh fork slider. The fender mounting holes are different on the fat bob versus the other 49mm dynas. You can get a 14-17 low rider rh slider. It will be a direct bolt up fit.
I wish I read your post earlier LOL. I got the fat bob lower leg in last week and mounted it Wed night which was the hardest part. I had to dial in the racetech suspension again yesterday when I rode it to work. I also got the new 19 inch PM Hooligan wheel in yesterday and mounted the new tire on. Today I was going to finish the whole job which wouldnt be that hard. Bleeding the brakes would have been the most time consuming. But of course I had 3 issues that stopped me from finishing
1) The stock banjo bolt for the stock master cylinder was too big to slide through the new magnum shielding upper dual disc brake line and was also too big to thread into the Harley 11/16th master cylinder
2) I forgot to pick up a 2nd banjo bolt for the right side lower brake line to go into the right side caliper
3) When I ordered the 19 inch PM wheel I didnt order bolts for the right side rotor at the same time as the wheel. The wheel and rotor was ordered through PM but I forgot to ask for bolts. When I realized that I looked in the Tucker catalog. Saw 2 different sizes, pulled a bolt out of the left side rotor and ordered what I thought was the correct side. Low and behold the bolts I ordered were too thick. So tomorrow morning Ill head to a shop that Im sure has the correct size bolts and the correct banjo bolts I need.

Since my bike isnt done and you wanted to see pics about what I was talking about. Here is a link to Hard Case Performance. I have the Krause version (both Krause and Hard Case get them made by The Speed Merchants but each has a slightly different design) Krause only has the axial to radial mounting brackets pics on their website. Hard Case has pics of the bracket bolted to the lower fork leg where the axial brake used to be. And the radial brake mounted to that bracket. Once I mount everything I will post pics of my dual brake set up.

http://www.hardcaseperformance.com/f...e-or-dual-disc

Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Unclescarhead
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds like your getting it together. Very interesting thread. Lots of useful information. Thanks .I have a 2016 wide glide that I'm thinking about doing the dual brake set up to.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:26 PM
cycler
Road Master
Default problem with the wheel

Originally Posted by Unclescarhead
Sounds like your getting it together. Very interesting thread. Lots of useful information. Thanks .I have a 2016 wide glide that I'm thinking about doing the dual brake set up to.
I went out and bought 2 gloss black lower brake line banjo bolts (10mm and replace the 1 stainless I had) as well as getting a 10mm upper brake line banjo bolt because the stock banjo bolt from the 9/16th master cylinder didnt work. And I got the 5 correct bolts to mount the right side rotor to the wheel as well as a 5 crush washers, $71 later. I think this place is over priced but I needed these asap.

Anyway I bolted the right rotor on after mounting the right side bracket and caliper along with 11/16th master cylinder and upper and lower dual brake line. Then I noticed the wheel wouldnt fit . So I removed the right side caliper along with right side bracket. When I tried mounting the wheel with both rotors they didnt clear both lower legs. I then measured my 21 inch wheels right and left side hub spacing . It was 23 inches on the right and 21.1 inches on the left. My new 19 inch dual disc hub PM wheels hub was 2.5 inches on the right and 2.7 inches on the left. Which is why when i tried mounting the wheel the rotors would either hit the bottom of the lower legs or wouldnt even fit through the width of lower legs. At this point I think PM installed the wrong hub into the 19 inch wheel. I think the hub width is either for a touring or softail model. My mechanic who is working on my street glide is going to measure the pm wheels hub I have on my street glide. If it measures 2.5 and 2.7 on the right and left the problem is solved. I already had an email sent to PM explaining the issue and asked them to send the proper hub so I dont wast 3 to 4 weeks sending the wheel back to get the proper hub installed. I will install the hub myself and send the incorrect one back.