Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Disk Brembo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Dyna100
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Does anyone make slightly larger rotors ?

Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 AM
AbeVigoda
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the well thought-out responses. So, what I’ve gathered is that:

a: those 06+ FXDs running Brembo calipers are risking their safety, or...

b: someone knew what they were doing and solved for the pads overextending

if it’s “b,” then what’s the workaround? I’d rather not make a motorcycle more unsafe When the goal is to increase it.

Thanks. And... sarcasm was appreciated.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default please read my post

Originally Posted by AbeVigoda
Thanks for the well thought-out responses. So, what I’ve gathered is that:

a: those 06+ FXDs running Brembo calipers are risking their safety, or...

b: someone knew what they were doing and solved for the pads overextending

if it’s “b,” then what’s the workaround? I’d rather not make a motorcycle more unsafe When the goal is to increase it.

Thanks. And... sarcasm was appreciated.
Please read my post much more carefully. Both questions A & B are addressed. Search going back around 2006 or so and I spent a few hours giving a How-To instructional more than a few times. Right after that this member (who posted the wheel picture) did exactly what I stated not to do. I indicated how to do it and also indicated how not to do it as per & why not. Read Jay Risk('s) write up.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM
AbeVigoda
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Howard. I found the thread you mentioned. In the case of the pictures that someone posted (showing the pads overextending the rotor), are those rotors 11.5' or 11.8'? Wouldn't using the larger rotor do the trick? I believe I found the post you mentioned—in it, you mention trimming the axle and doing a lot of internal work on the front suspension to make it work.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:19 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Let me rephrase

Originally Posted by AbeVigoda
Thanks, Howard. I found the thread you mentioned. In the case of the pictures that someone posted (showing the pads overextending the rotor), are those rotors 11.5' or 11.8'? Wouldn't using the larger rotor do the trick? I believe I found the post you mentioned—in it, you mention trimming the axle and doing a lot of internal work on the front suspension to make it work.
In 2006 HD wanted to visually improve the poor braking (compared to a performance bike) without spending any or little money. Smoke & mirrors, HD typical response. Harley redesigned the sliders (2006) by moving the caliper mounts up to sit on a 300mm/11.811" rotor than the previous 2005 Dyna which has a 11 1/2" (292.1mm) rotor.
You need to choose a slider with the caliper mounts back to the 2005 Dyna. Your choices are all V-Rod conventional as well as 2000 ~ current FLHT sliders.

In actual radius is only a increase of 3.95mm/0.1555" & use the crappy calipers first introduced on dressers & Dynas in 2000. European bikes have been using a pair of 310mm rotors on light bikes and a pair of 320mm rotors on the heavier (450#+) sport bikes. Very few are using axial mounted calipers verses very stiff radial mounted calipers.

Conversion brackets (axial to radial) are available but that is just nothing more than putting the look of a sport bike on a Harley. The reason of radial mounting is to have a more rigid mount so you get the all important brake feedback through your brake lever. That is why I never produced this type of mounting long before any of these slick motorcycle parts producers ever had even thought about it.You were asking about 320mm rotors, we have several type. Steel or Iron (Iron stops better) but we now offer a CMC rotor 1.5 pound Good luck with your project.

320mm for either FLT or FXR

1.5 pound CMC rotor
PS What I was referring to is removing your axle spacers than making them to the correct size so they center in your calipers. You should get 3 turns on your front wheel in place of the 1/2 turn while the pads wear on the rotors.

The following users liked this post:
XRX (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:34 AM
XRX
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
In 2006 HD wanted to visually improve the poor braking (compared to a performance bike) without spending any or little money. Smoke & mirrors, HD typical response. Harley redesigned the sliders (2006) by moving the caliper mounts up to sit on a 300mm/11.811" rotor than the previous 2005 Dyna which has a 11 1/2" (292.1mm) rotor.
You need to choose a slider with the caliper mounts back to the 2005 Dyna. Your choices are all V-Rod conventional as well as 2000 ~ current FLHT sliders.

In actual radius is only a increase of 3.95mm/0.1555" & use the crappy calipers first introduced on dressers & Dynas in 2000. European bikes have been using a pair of 310mm rotors on light bikes and a pair of 320mm rotors on the heavier (450#+) sport bikes. Very few are using axial mounted calipers verses very stiff radial mounted calipers.

Conversion brackets (axial to radial) are available but that is just nothing more than putting the look of a sport bike on a Harley. The reason of radial mounting is to have a more rigid mount so you get the all important brake feedback through your brake lever. That is why I never produced this type of mounting long before any of these slick motorcycle parts producers ever had even thought about it.You were asking about 320mm rotors, we have several type. Steel or Iron (Iron stops better) but we now offer a CMC rotor 1.5 pound Good luck with your project.

320mm for either FLT or FXR

1.5 pound CMC rotor
PS What I was referring to is removing your axle spacers than making them to the correct size so they center in your calipers. You should get 3 turns on your front wheel in place of the 1/2 turn while the pads wear on the rotors.
Good job, Howard.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Howard, out of curiosity, can you reveal who is manufacturing the CMC rotors? I was looking high and low for a set last fall and couldn't turn up a source. I spoke with a representative from REL who said they stopped production. Has a new supplier come on line or did I overlook somebody?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:55 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Howard, out of curiosity, can you reveal who is manufacturing the CMC rotors? I was looking high and low for a set last fall and couldn't turn up a source. I spoke with a representative from REL who said they stopped production. Has a new supplier come on line or did I overlook somebody?
I've been looking at these rotors on the Brake Tech website for awhile now...

http://braketech.com/axiscmc-rotors/

Old 09-17-2018, 02:01 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by F86
I've been looking at these rotors on the Brake Tech website for awhile now...

http://braketech.com/axiscmc-rotors/
click bait? When I go to that link all I get is spam....

Old 09-17-2018, 02:26 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx

click bait? When I go to that link all I get is spam....
Woah... I just tried, and it worked the first time... But the second time I got it too! WTF???

Quick Reply: Dual Disk Brembo Conversion