Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Disk Brembo Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:11 AM
AbeVigoda
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dual Disk Brembo Conversion

I'm converting from single disk to dual with mags on my 2014 FXDB and I got a great deal on some take-off Brembos from a touring bike. I've been doing research and have seen some conflicting evidence that this works on late-model Dynas.

Has anyone successfully done the single to dual on the 06-Up dyna with the Brembo takeoffs with success? Additional note, if necessary, I'd like to run Galfer rotors.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I don’t see any problems. Your brembos should be 108mm if they’re radials. All the brackets I’ve seen it’s for 108mm calipers.
And of course the basics like new master cylinder and bottom right fork.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 AM
rs1250xl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
I don’t see any problems. Your brembos should be 108mm if they’re radials. All the brackets I’ve seen it’s for 108mm calipers.
And of course the basics like new master cylinder and bottom right fork.
HD Touring brembos are not radial mounted like sport bikes. I mounted them on my old XL and it worked, but I think the 06-17 Dyna lower forks cause the touring calipers to sit on the outer diameter of the rotor. Someone else can confirm this.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I see! My bad. I thought he meant non hd brembos.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 AM
AbeVigoda
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rs1250xl
HD Touring brembos are not radial mounted like sport bikes. I mounted them on my old XL and it worked, but I think the 06-17 Dyna lower forks cause the touring calipers to sit on the outer diameter of the rotor. Someone else can confirm this.
this is what I’ve read on some posts. And on other’s there hasn’t been an issue. Potentially VRod sliders?

Old 09-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Mattf748
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I have them on my 2017 Dyna FXDLS.
The Calipers sit in the outside of the rotor and overlap on the pads, so wear will be uneven on them.
They work fine but there is a risk of wear problems to the pads and damage to the rotor, but my searching the web and this forum failed to provide any real evidence of it being a disaster.
Plus they look way cool too.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:30 PM
rs1250xl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AbeVigoda

this is what I’ve read on some posts. And on other’s there hasn’t been an issue. Potentially VRod sliders?

Had time to kill waiting on florence to arrive, I found the attached photo in an older thread posted by Howard. It looks like the brakes will work until the pads wear. Once they are grooved to the thickness of the rotor you will no longer have front brakes...

Old 09-15-2018, 05:44 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Not what I said

Had time to kill waiting on florence to arrive, I found the attached photo in an older thread posted by Howard. It looks like the brakes will work until the pads wear. Once they are grooved to the thickness of the rotor you will no longer have front brakes...
Look at the brake pads hanging over the rotor. I went into detail why you or anyone should not use this as well as as why this happens. Lower caliper mounts will work with the OEM HD Dresser Brembo calipers. Look at your original rotor and look at the outside perimeter, why does anyone ever not use the outside of the brake rotor for pad wear? " It looks like the brakes will work until the pads wear" I am sure it will work up until the time the rotor comes apart and shatters. You are good until than. If anyone has ever witnessed a rotor come part, I am sure if you survive you may not wish to do it again. Kind of like the lowering blocks and the stressing of the angle on the swing arm when the swing arm comes apart, been doing so for many years. The vendors say that these are much better quality. Has to do with the design and the angle of stress. In both cases, it is up to you as it is your bike as well as the welfare of your passenger. Keep one's own counsel.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:40 PM
rs1250xl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Look at the brake pads hanging over the rotor. I went into detail why you or anyone should not use this as well as as why this happens. Lower caliper mounts will work with the OEM HD Dresser Brembo calipers. Look at your original rotor and look at the outside perimeter, why does anyone ever not use the outside of the brake rotor for pad wear? " It looks like the brakes will work until the pads wear" I am sure it will work up until the time the rotor comes apart and shatters. You are good until than. If anyone has ever witnessed a rotor come part, I am sure if you survive you may not wish to do it again. Kind of like the lowering blocks and the stressing of the angle on the swing arm when the swing arm comes apart, been doing so for many years. The vendors say that these are much better quality. Has to do with the design and the angle of stress. In both cases, it is up to you as it is your bike as well as the welfare of your passenger. Keep one's own counsel.

Only found a picture, not the full explanation. Also I think a little bit of my sarcasm was lost in translation, wouldn't suggest using brakes that way.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default "sarcasm" I did not read it like that

Only found a picture, not the full explanation. Also I think a little bit of my sarcasm was lost in translation, wouldn't suggest using brakes that way.
Sorry, the sarcasm went over my head. I have wrote many posts on this subject when I first starting converting over 2006 FXD's to twin rotors and members did this abortion over a carefully laid out "How To", step by step. At that time I was testing and developing CMC rotors with Cycle World on the track when a rotor came apart. Luckily no one was hurt and the set up was correct. The problem was the manufacturing process of squeeze casting (two molds pressed together under high pressure) V/S spin casting (Varying the speed of the rotations) when the material was poured onto the spinning mould, in a molten state than air cooled to eliminate air pockets and the sand (silicone) moves to the outer circumference of the rotor.

Running a brake pad on the un-swept rotor edge could cause fractures. Add the speed (RPM's), centrifugal force, and vibration the brake pads exert may ruin your day. Think first than stay safe. You may get away with it until you do not.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (11-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Dual Disk Brembo Conversion