Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:56 AM
easyissy
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Motor Mounts

Finally removed my evap canister and found my motor mount is pretty worn out. The rubber is bulging out of the mount. The front is wobbly at speed too.

My question is should I replace both front and rear mounts?

The rear is not as easy to inspect.

After reading through forum threads was thinking of going with the predator front and OEM rear with Sputhe stabilizer.

The bike's a 2016 Street Bob with 44K miles on it.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Some say you have to replace both at the same time. I think that's a myth. If you're not having excessive vibration, leave it alone. You're going to dump some serious wampum on the Predator and Sputhe for marginal improvement.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I just did the Predator on the front.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:03 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Starting with the Predator by itself probably isn't a bad idea... It's not difficult at all, and will probably be a noticeable improvement right away. Some people have had "clunking" issues with them, but I never did. If it's helpful, here was my experience when I first did the Predator a couple of years ago, retaining the OEM rear mount:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tor-mount.html

A couple of things I'll add since then... I have loosened the center bolt a few times for various reasons without talking off the oil filter. As long as you have something relatively "low profile" to access the bolt, it isn't so bad. I don't remember whether the instructions mentioned it, but it makes a big difference with regard to alignment and vibration if you let the engine "self center" before tightening the center bolt. With the bike vertical (NOT on the side stand), let it idle a bit with the center bolt loose (everything else tight). Blip the throttle a little. Tighten the center bolt while the engine is still idling. Of course, this requires that you have a wrench or socket that will fit below the oil filter. Don't leave the center bolt out, just don't snug it up first. Install the center bolt before tightening everything else, as it may not line up with the top hole (in which case you won't be able to install it after the rest of the mount is tight).

Don't forget to finish the oil change before starting!

Last edited by F86; 11-16-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:10 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I have the predator as well, first thing I would do before changing any of your mounts is the power train alignment with a inclinometer. Do it right and then you know your motor etc is set up the way it is suppose to.

Then if there are issues change your mounts. With the mileage you have I would do both, just due to time in the elements and well wear. I think most would agree that you can get away with a stock mount in the rear but I would look to the aftermarket as I personally don't think the stock one are any good.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:26 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Can't say how bad the mounts were on my 2003 with 15K miles, but the bike had genuine "Harley death wobble" when I bought it. Thought it was the front tire, but once I did a tiny bit of research, I knew what it was and remembered reading about it 15 years ago before leaving the Harley community. Anyway... bought the True-Track stabilizers, installed without replacing the original motor mounts, and it tracks & runs excellent now. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:34 PM
easyissy
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

Ordered the Predator mount. I'll make sure to do the alignment and then go from there.

Gonna try and inspect the rear mount and see if it needs replacing.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:18 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Just did the Predator on my Front difference of day and night in Handling ..

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:41 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

predator front. new oem rear with the hump cut off in the middle. thats the go to ticket for me.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 AM
easyissy
Cruiser

What do you guys think about the rear Sputhe stabilizer? Worth it?

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts