Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 dyna low rider not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 PM
Michelle Elizabeth
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 dyna low rider not starting

04 dyna low rider twin cam

former owner abandoned in elements for over a year.

Did basic maintenance on 12/3/2018. New battery, terminal cables, sparks, oil/filter, fuel, fuses/relays, air cleaner filter. Started just great!

12/4- Would not start. Made clicking noises, lights flickered, fuel pump primed.
12/8- Replaced starter. Buttoned up exactly how it was with cables before break down. No click, no fuel pump prime, lights- dead. Checked voltage, battery 12V. Power going to starter and fuse box.
Noticed ignition switch wire was frayed, replaced on 1/8/2019. Still nothing .
Yall I'm absolutely stumped. What am I missing?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Start from square one. I know you put in a new battery but if it wasn't fully charged it could run down quickly. Before you start throwing any more parts at it, get the battery charged completely and get it load tested.
The ignition switch would be suspect, having sat outside for a while.

Last edited by nevil; 01-09-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:17 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Something basic, stop/run in run.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:43 AM
madwrencher
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

could have bad connection. I would check where the ground connects on the frame under the seat. Also have the battery checked.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Michelle Elizabeth
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madwrencher
could have bad connection. I would check where the ground connects on the frame under the seat. Also have the battery checked.

this is how the terminals are connected to starter. It's how it was on the original. Think maybe if I connect the negative to the frame itll work? Gotta be some simple thing. I feel seriously stupid right now..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:39 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I had a 2001 FXD for years and my son has a 2004 FXDLI now that I work on and I am familiar with this starter system. This is how I would approach troubleshooting your problem as I understand it...

Put your volt meter on the small terminal on the starter to ground and see if you are getting 12 vdc when you are trying to start. You should read 12 volts at the small terminal when you have the master to run and the run/start crank switches to crank. If you read 12 volts at the small terminal when you are trying to crank and it still doesn't turn over, move your volt meter to the big terminal and make sure the volts do not drop below 10-11 volts. If you do not read 12 volts at the small terminal, then jump the small terminal to the big terminal with a piece of wire...if the starter solenoid and motor are good and you have good battery power with good connections, the starter will engage and turn over the engine period. Just make sure you are in neutral!

If your volt readings are good and it still does not turn over, then the starter has a problem. If the volts at the small terminal drop off when you attempt to crank, you probably have something going on with the master, start/run and or crank switches or wiring, probably one of the switches. If the volts at the big terminal drop off significantly when the circuit is energized, you probably have a bad connection, a failed starter, battery or all three.

Lastly, you probably should get a can of electrical cleaner and some silicone dielectric grease and clean and lube up connectors as you go...future insurance

Good luck!

Last edited by skinman13; 01-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.