Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob FXDBI - 2006 - All oils change

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 AM
markoHR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Bob FXDBI - 2006 - All oils change

Dear harley friends,
I'm new here and I greet all of you. Can you please help me with changing oil? (info only).

Last year I buy FXDBI 2006. I'd like to change all the oils. According to the instructions from manual I do not know how many species of oil I need to use. One, two or more.. I write some questions important to me.

1. Can I use the same oil for the whole machine? I plan to use this oil: https://www.moposport.fi/media/catal...729-635004.jpg

2. Did I correct understand that the engine has two oils that changing over the shutter with dipstick, and one that's change when i remove the derby cover?
2.1. How many screws i have to release all oils?

3. Does the oil I place over the derby cover can be the same as the gearbox and the machine?

4. When i change derby cover and change oil - i must every time buy a new derby gasket? (up is the first one bought with a motorcycle, from first owner).

4.1. Do i need put a LOCKTITE glue to put screws on derby cover again on engine?

5. So, i need a buy almost 4.7 L of oil to fill all oils? Or how many?

(sorry for my english). I now the questons are "dump" but i'm new in that. I hope the answers will help many people.
Thank you very much, to all! Best regards,

Old 03-07-2019, 12:01 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new bike. It's good to see you're interested in maintenance, and I would recommend you get a copy of the factory service manual.
There are more opinions and answers to your questions than you can imagine. You should do some research and see what sounds good to you. There's an oil section where you can get a lot of info. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a.../?daysprune=14

Old 03-08-2019, 12:39 AM
markoHR
4th Gear

Thank you. I will try to find the answer on the web. The service manual is a good solution but it is difficult to access that book in my area. But I'll try to get. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:56 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by markoHR
Dear harley friends,
I'm new here and I greet all of you. Can you please help me with changing oil? (info only).

Last year I buy FXDBI 2006. I'd like to change all the oils. According to the instructions from manual I do not know how many species of oil I need to use. One, two or more.. I write some questions important to me.

1. Can I use the same oil for the whole machine? I plan to use this oil: https://www.moposport.fi/media/catal...729-635004.jpg

2. Did I correct understand that the engine has two oils that changing over the shutter with dipstick, and one that's change when i remove the derby cover?
2.1. How many screws i have to release all oils?

3. Does the oil I place over the derby cover can be the same as the gearbox and the machine?

4. When i change derby cover and change oil - i must every time buy a new derby gasket? (up is the first one bought with a motorcycle, from first owner).

4.1. Do i need put a LOCKTITE glue to put screws on derby cover again on engine?

5. So, i need a buy almost 4.7 L of oil to fill all oils? Or how many?

(sorry for my english). I now the questons are "dump" but i'm new in that. I hope the answers will help many people.
Thank you very much, to all! Best regards,
The three drain plugs are the same size (Hex head). The primary and the transmission drain plugs face down (vertical). The engine drain plug faces towards the primary (horizontal).

Engine almost 3 quarts, drain plug torque 168 to 252 inch pounds (14 to 21 foot pounds). Run engine 1 to 2 minutes at idle on the kickstand before checking oil level. Screw cap all the in to check level.

Primary 1 quart, drain plug torque 36 to 60 inch pounds (3 to 5 foot pounds). Primary cover reuse and lube O-Ring mating surface torque 84 to 108 inch pounds (7 to 9 foot pounds). You can use foil like in the below photo as a funnel.

Transmission 1 quart. Drain plug torque 168 to 252 inch pounds (14 to 21 foot pounds). Dip stick 25 to 75 inch pounds (2 to 6 foot pounds)

No thread locking used, I use Teflon thread sealant on the drain plugs, transmission dip stick, and the primary cover screws.

Harley oil filters P/N 63798-99A (chrome) or 63731-99A (black)

I use the below from https://www.amsoil.com/. You can also look up your bike on their website as they list recommendations as well as oil capacities for your bike.

MCVQT-EA
20W-50 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil
3 each for engine

ATFQT-EA
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
1 each for primary

SVOQT-EA
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant : (1) quart bottle
1 each for transmission

PREG6M-EA
Preferred Customer Registration: 6-Month Trial Membership
1 for discount

Old 03-08-2019, 03:08 AM
markoHR
4th Gear

Okay. That's a lot of good information. I just found service manual (pdf) on ebay, so I'll find all the further information there.
Best regards! Thanks everyone!

Old 03-08-2019, 07:35 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Depending on what oil you have available... you can use the same oil in all three applications. However, if you have some access to different oils, you can use the same oil in the engine (dipstick) and primary (derby), and then a good gear oil for the transmission is suggested. Find oils rated for diesel truck applications and you will be fine. Recommend 20/50 for the engine and 75/90 for the transmission.

You might source the oil from Tembo, I don't see any 20w/50 oils, but they have some 10w/50 for superbikes, but since climate there is 'cooler' the 10w/50 might work fine. and also some 75/90 gear oil.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Do you have a HD dealer near you? You can just use their synthetic for all 3 holes if you want to keep it simple for yourself.

Yes , change the gaskets. You can buy a kit at HD for all holes for cheap.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy the hd service manual .....you'll be glad you did

Old 03-11-2019, 02:53 AM
markoHR
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fxrnutt
Buy the hd service manual .....you'll be glad you did
I just did! Good book!

Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 AM
markoHR
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Do you have a HD dealer near you? You can just use their synthetic for all 3 holes if you want to keep it simple for yourself.

Yes , change the gaskets. You can buy a kit at HD for all holes for cheap.
I have but not close to me. I'm trying to service what I can. The first owner said that he himself changed the oil. He also recommended that he use one oil for the entire engine. I did not ask him about the gaskets, but I will definitely change them. Thank you!