Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Speedo/Tach On Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Esco11
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mini Speedo/Tach On Handlebars

I’m wanting to try to mount a mini speedo/tach on my handlebars (t bars) but not sure if want I want to do is fully possible.
I’m hoping I can find a mini gauge setup that can tap into the signal and leave my dash gauge in place.

This is on a Fat Bob so I have the 5” speedo in the dash otherwise I’d look into just relocating it.

This is a good example of the size and type of gauge I’d like to to have:
https://motogadget.com/shop/en/motoscope-mini.html
From what I’ve been able to find I think this would conpletely replace the stock gauge though.
if anyone knows of an option without a tach I’d definitely consider it.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:25 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I don't know why you couldn't run two Speedo/tach. Just splice the wires. Plug-n-play, no, but likely doable.

I'm not 100% sure how the Motogadget analog gauges work but their digital gauges accept a wide variety of signals and are fully programmable/calibratable. I have Motoscope mini on my 99 and required no adapters or sensors. Just connect the wires and calibrate.

Might need their CAN bus adapter for your bike. I'm not familiar with the CAN electronics.

I suggest contacting Revival Cycle and asking. They are very knowledgeable with M'gadget but mostly focus on vintage import bikes so they may or may not be familiar with a modern MoCo. They have helped me several times.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-20-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

After further thought I really can't see why that gauge wouldn't work. I'm pulling the speed signal directly from the VSS sensor (with NO ECU interaction) and the tach signal directly from the coil signal wire. It comes from the ECU but it's not like coils have changed in the last 75 odd years.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Esco11
Advanced

Awesome, I might have been overthinking it.
Thankfully mine is a 2011 so pre-canbus.
Im going to dig around to see if I can find a slightly more basic gauge as I don’t need all the other features it has. Just looking for a HUD style setup and keep my dash gauge for the rest.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

The Mini is fairly basic. Other than Speedo, Tach, and Odo, I can't really think of much it offers. The shift light is nice. I think there is a clock (or trip clock?) which I've never used. Can't think of anything else. It's not the easiest digital gauge to read but it's adequate. A backlit LCD would better but I liked the size. Not sure who else makes ultra compact gauges, but I'm sure there are a few others. Maybe Dakota Digital?

Don't forget to check custom and race car suppliers. The basics are all the same. I've used a 30 year old 3" Sun tach for test/tune on my bikes amd cars many times. It just uses 3 wires and has worked on every vehicle I've tried.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Go one better

Old 03-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Esco11
Advanced

Originally Posted by cggorman
The Mini is fairly basic. Other than Speedo, Tach, and Odo, I can't really think of much it offers. The shift light is nice. I think there is a clock (or trip clock?) which I've never used. Can't think of anything else. It's not the easiest digital gauge to read but it's adequate. A backlit LCD would better but I liked the size. Not sure who else makes ultra compact gauges, but I'm sure there are a few others. Maybe Dakota Digital?

Don't forget to check custom and race car suppliers. The basics are all the same. I've used a 30 year old 3" Sun tach for test/tune on my bikes amd cars many times. It just uses 3 wires and has worked on every vehicle I've tried.
Yeah, it seems like it’ll be the best bet actually.
Was thinking it had more to it but I might have been mixing it up with their other gauges.

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Go one better

Funny enough I already have a powervision but just didn’t want to leave it on the bike aside from tuning.
What mount are you using for it?