Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 07:14 PM
dmonger
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Vibration question

So I’m noticing my brake side handlebar is vibrating a lot more than my clutch side. At around 70 I can see there’s a car behind me but that’s about it. But my other mirror I can make out details. Could the riser bearing be going bad on that side? And if so what could cause one side to tear before the other?
Also, what would cause a significant difference in vibration between going 70 and then smoothing out at 80+?

Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

Change your bushings to either solid aluminum or urethane and the vibrations will diminish.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Sure it's not just the mirror? Loose-ish gimbal?

Old 06-09-2019, 04:09 AM
dmonger
Road Master

Originally Posted by cggorman
Sure it's not just the mirror? Loose-ish gimbal?
No because I can feel it in my grips. I can feel the vibration more in my right hand.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

The rubber bushings from the factory tend to degrade more on one side or the other if you favor one side while pulling the bike up off the side stand. If you pull more than push, the left side will wear first usually. If you push more than pull then the right side gets more abuse and wears more quickly. If you pull and push they will wear at a mostly even rate.

As said, poly or metal bushings will last significantly longer or forever.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:10 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by dmonger
So I’m noticing my brake side handlebar is vibrating a lot more than my clutch side. At around 70 I can see there’s a car behind me but that’s about it. But my other mirror I can make out details. Could the riser bearing be going bad on that side? And if so what could cause one side to tear before the other?
Also, what would cause a significant difference in vibration between going 70 and then smoothing out at 80+?
Could it just be your clutch lever rattling?

Risers don't have bearings, they have bushings and yes one could be getting sloppy.Check top clamp bolts and the nuts under your riser bolts. As far as vibration most all motors have buzz points which can be felt at certain speeds or rpm's. Sometimes you feel it through the bars and sometimes through the footpegs/floorboard. Might also want to check your top motor mount at the frame and the heads. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Hey Man; 06-09-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:04 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

OP~
It's not bushings/motor mounts or anything else outa whack. What you've noticed is vibration harmonics. If you pay attention to your mirrors, you'll notice that at certain RPM's, one side will vibrate more than the other, then at a different RPM, the vibration may switch sides. Then, it can switch back. From idle to redline, it may switch "right/left/right/left/etc" a few times. So, what to do about it. To quell vibration, you might install FASST Co anti-vibration inserts. They work. The nerves in your hands will appreciate it, as you get older...

Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM
dmonger
Road Master

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
The rubber bushings from the factory tend to degrade more on one side or the other if you favor one side while pulling the bike up off the side stand. If you pull more than push, the left side will wear first usually. If you push more than pull then the right side gets more abuse and wears more quickly. If you pull and push they will wear at a mostly even rate.

As said, poly or metal bushings will last significantly longer or forever.
Thank you, after reading your reply it makes sense. I feel kinda dumb for not thinking about that possibility since I favor my throttle side in pretty much everything. I need to get some poly bushings before I put my apes on so I'll just grab them now and if it fixes the problem, great, if not then I needed them anyway.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dmonger
Thank you, after reading your reply it makes sense. I feel kinda dumb for not thinking about that possibility since I favor my throttle side in pretty much everything. I need to get some poly bushings before I put my apes on so I'll just grab them now and if it fixes the problem, great, if not then I needed them anyway.
I hope it helps man, good luck.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 AM
dmonger
Road Master

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
OP~
It's not bushings/motor mounts or anything else outa whack. What you've noticed is vibration harmonics. If you pay attention to your mirrors, you'll notice that at certain RPM's, one side will vibrate more than the other, then at a different RPM, the vibration may switch sides. Then, it can switch back. From idle to redline, it may switch "right/left/right/left/etc" a few times. So, what to do about it. To quell vibration, you might install FASST Co anti-vibration inserts. They work. The nerves in your hands will appreciate it, as you get older...
So yeah the new bushings didn't change anything. I looked at the anti-vibration inserts but the website only seems to show them on dirt and ATV bars. Would they still work on 1" bars? And would they still allow enough run to run the wiring internally?