Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 mile service $ question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
jeffbcn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10,000 mile service $ question

10,000 mile service on my 06 Wide Glide:
A local Dealer (Southern California)quoted me $565.00 + $30.00 for Syn III in all 3 holes. Reasonable? I asked about redline shockproof for the tranny and they said to bring it in and they would use it..
While I'm not Mechanically Retarded, I'm not a Mechanic either, so I'm not inclined to do it myself. I would like to find a dealer I can trust, like I have with my mechanic for my Pick Up.
I've decided to go with Synthetic after reading several posts over the last few months and other that Redline Shockproof, I haven't seen any real strong preferences. What is Syn III ?
Any advice?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Default RE: 10,000 mile service $ question

Syn-3 is Harley's recommended synthetic hybrid (part synthetic, part dino) oil. It's good; you won't have any problems with it. Oil afficianados prefer full synthetic. It's a personal choice.

The 10K service is very expensive -- about twice the cost of the 5K or the 1K. Many people here will recommend you do it yourself. I'm not comfortable recommending that to anyone unless I know how good a mechanic they are. When the book says, "Inspect drive belt." do you know what you're looking for? Would you feel better if you knew someone who sees a dozen drive belts a day looked at it for you? If so, maybe you should let 'em.

Lots of people here don't like their dealers, apparently. I love mine. (Kelly's House of Harley Davidson in Billerica MA.) When my bike went in for its 5K not only did they do a great job, but they also cleaned the burned boot heel off my pipes andadjusted my headlight without me mentioning it was out of whack. The service writers all know me when I walk in and the parts guys all know me by name.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're not comfortable doing it yourself,make a serious effort at locatinga good indy.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:38 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Splatter

Syn-3 is Harley's recommended synthetic hybrid (part synthetic, part dino) oil. It's good; you won't have any problems with it. Oil afficianados prefer full synthetic. It's a personal choice.

The 10K service is very expensive -- about twice the cost of the 5K or the 1K. Many people here will recommend you do it yourself. I'm not comfortable recommending that to anyone unless I know how good a mechanic they are. When the book says, "Inspect drive belt." do you know what you're looking for? Would you feel better if you knew someone who sees a dozen drive belts a day looked at it for you? If so, maybe you should let 'em.

Lots of people here don't like their dealers, apparently. I love mine. (Kelly's House of Harley Davidson in Billerica MA.) When my bike went in for its 5K not only did they do a great job, but they also cleaned the burned boot heel off my pipes andadjusted my headlight without me mentioning it was out of whack. The service writers all know me when I walk in and the parts guys all know me by name.
I don't get it, why is the 10,000 mile service so much more? According to the manual, the only difference between the 10,000 and the 1,000 is replacing spark plugs and inspecting the engine mounts. Surely that can't be $300 more. I second the idea to find a good indy if you're not comfortable doing the work yourself. I honestly don't believe most dealer techs actually do all the work they're supposed to at the service intervals. Find an indy that will let you watch, at least then you'll know you're getting what you paid for.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Splatter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sporty79
I don't get it, why is the 10,000 mile service so much more? According to the manual, the only difference between the 10,000 and the 1,000 is replacing spark plugs and inspecting the engine mounts.
You could always ask the service manager. My stance would if if they can get $300 more for it in a competitive market, they're doing something. And if I don't know what that something is, I shouldn't be pulling my own maintenance.

When I was young I did a few years as an aircraft mechanic. I can use tools and follow directions, but the experience made me appreciate that a simple checkbox marked "inspect brakes" could hide hours of work. And I got used to the guys who thought I'd skip steps. It really said more about them than about me.

As to Indy .vs. dealer -- find a place you trust. Affiliation with the MOCO is not in and of itself a guarantee or an idictment.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10k service with syn at the dealer here was $264.00
Complete inspection/adjustments/test ride/best bike wash you'll ever find.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 AM
b5mac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my 10K maintenance done at HD of Washington in Maryland. It cost $320 parts and labor with synthetic all around. I was real pleased with the service, it only took a couple of hours for them to do it. I was sent there by Trotter, thanks Trotter. Having said that, I now have a bitch about what they did. I went out today just to check the oil level and found that they had replaced my dipstick with a dipstick with their name on it! Now I'm riding around with their advertisment on my bike, without my permission! I really don't appreciate that. Below is a picture of the dipstick. It's not quite as bad as putting a bumper sticker on as their advertisement but it's close. What does everyone else think of this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/27521/AD93500E642E4E9789BEDF82BC5E30B1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 PM
caffeine_fueled
Advanced

it is a bit strange that they went so far as to replace the little dealer sticker on the dipstick with one of their own.

i assume it already had the sticker of another dealer on there. if so, and you were pleased with the service...i wouldn't sweat giving them a bit of advertisement.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:04 PM
pauletich
Road Master

My 20K is $350 and a lot more is done to the bike. I would find a indy mech in your area and go with that. This is a good forum to find good wrenchs as well.

What area are you from?

I would go to the dealer and get a dipstick with no ad.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
b5mac
Tourer

My original dipstick didn't have an advertisement on it. I'm not going to worry about getting the old one back. It's not that big a deal. It's just the fact that they did it without my permission. I'm in the Northern Virginia area, Alexandria to be exact.

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service $ question