Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guard Guarded My Engine Bigtime!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Guard Guarded My Engine Bigtime!

I was wrapping up a 120+ mile ride through the three sisters near Bandera Texas when two riders in front of me collided and went down. We were literally at the driveway into our campground. The rider between them and me went into panic mode and skidded sideways right in front of me and my passenger. I steered away as best I could on the gravel intersection but still bumped the Softail in front of me on the left side of my Wide Glide. Her bike wasn't damaged. My engine guard bent back a couple of inches, the upper mounting bolt was stripped out, and the left fog light lens was cracked. Otherwise, there was no damage whatsoever, even though the bike went down pretty hard.

Before this happened I was considering removing the guard because I really don't like the way it looks, even dressed up with the fog lamps. Now, I'm bending it back and making damned sure it's installed ASAP. I don't want to think of what might have happened to me or the bike had the guard not been there. Like a helmet, an engine guard isn't cool, but I'm sure sold on the protection it offers.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Luther OBanion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Guard Guarded My Engine Bigtime!

Good to here that no one was hurt seriously, I belive in the engine guards. I had a mishap also and it saved my engine and tank from damage. I ride a 06 Street Bob, and the looks to me are not that bad. It fact I have my fog lights attached to it and do not have to use my high beams much, it shines from ditch to ditch. Again glad you are ok and the other guys. I know where you are talking about. Been there in a cage but no bike. Did you eat at the restaurant in Bandera on the main street. Beautiful country.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master

i agree with the guards. being a new rider when i bought my bike i opted for engine guards.i didnt really care for the look and figured i would eventually remove them until i saw a bike go down on i-80 doing 55 mph. the guard saved him and his wife. only minor scratches. needless to say, i left mine on

Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad they saved your ride

Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
coastrider
Road Master

Amen brother. Glad you're ok. I put one on my 06 bob when I bought it, along with fog lights and highway pegs. Don't think it looks that bad. The big plus is guarding the tank and engine. I dropped mine once and the guard made a great halfway point in getting the bike back on its wheels. It allows you to stop halfway and get a better grip.

Ride Safe.