Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob - Black Flush Mount Fuel Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
anubisRJD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fat Bob - Black Flush Mount Fuel Part 2

As requested for those of you wanting more proof that the 09 Dyna black flush fuel caps(part 75327-09) work on the 08 Fat Bobs, here is the evidence. RhinoWErX got me going when the softails worked for him, so not to threadjack, but here it is and thanks for the inspiration.

While I was down at H-D, I also picked up the finned head bolt covers to add a little more detail to the engine. Part 43859-00.

All told, it took me about an hour to install everything. Simple install, just as other have mentioned before, its easier to do if you take the front bolt off of the tank and lift it a few inches to reach the plug for the fuel gauge that is under the tank. All of the parts are the same; connectors, wires and all that. To get the plug off of the end of the old wire, the smallest of jewelers screwdrivers works best. If you guys have any questions, shoot!

only complaint: the cap doesnt quite go flush...

Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM
shovel logger
Intermediate

My 09 fat bob has regular chrome caps, gotta have some of those. How much.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 AM
anubisRJD
Advanced

A little pricey...198 something is the HD price, but go to Chicago HD online and you can get them 20% off.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:42 AM
thebump
Advanced

I have had mine for a few months (Chrome) and I just lost two LED's this week. I have read I am not the only one with the problem now. I love the look, but if this is going to be an issue.......

Old 10-11-2008, 11:12 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I heard from one of the guys at the harley dealership that he has had the same problem. He is on his 3d set. I don't like having to try to crane my head to read the regular gauge, but if I have to keep changing out this gauge. I may wait.
AnubisRJD. Is it truly a plug and play install? The dealership said it took work with the gauge due to all the wiring. The original seems to just pull out if you pull hard enough (waxing around it the other day and it popped up). is that all there is to it? Then just disconnect the old and reconnect the new?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM
anubisRJD
Advanced

yes. Plug and play. Now, you cant just pull out the old gauge without disconnecting the plug underneath the tank first. If you look at the bottom of the left side of the tank and see the black wire coming out, follow that to the middle of the tank of the bottom and you'll see the plug that has to be disconnected. Do that, then you have to take the wires out of the connector, or cut them to get the wire back through the tank to finally take the gauge out.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to know... thanks for the pics.

Anyone else have the new flush mount caps/guage and have issues with the LEDs?

Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anubisRJD
yes. Plug and play. Now, you cant just pull out the old gauge without disconnecting the plug underneath the tank first. If you look at the bottom of the left side of the tank and see the black wire coming out, follow that to the middle of the tank of the bottom and you'll see the plug that has to be disconnected. Do that, then you have to take the wires out of the connector, or cut them to get the wire back through the tank to finally take the gauge out.
Thanks. I really like the looks of the flush mounts.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:07 PM
url8
Road Master

Originally Posted by thebump
I have had mine for a few months (Chrome) and I just lost two LED's this week. I have read I am not the only one with the problem now. I love the look, but if this is going to be an issue.......
Bump heres a thread for a number that Rocker Mike posted as I too had a set go bad and didnt feel like shelling out the money once again. They covered my last set. Call them and give it a try..
good luck

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/276613-fuel-gauge-flush-caps-for-softtails.html

Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I like those. They look great.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob - Black Flush Mount Fuel Part 2