Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start. No Power!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't Start. No Power!

Cross Post... Desperate!!!

General application, not model specific. (added in edit: It's a 2001 FXDWG with Carb)

I've just moved and all my tech manuals are in storage awaiting retrieval and I really need your help, so here goes:

Started bike this morning for warm up and all was fine. Went to turn off bike and hit the starter button but released it almost immediately. About ten minutes later I rolled (dead-stick) the bike out of the garage and tried to start it.

Absolutely NOTHING! No click, no sound at all.

I've checked the connection to the battery and it's ok. I've checked the fuses in the main block and they're ok. I have NO power to the panel (dash?). Nothing happens regardless of which way the ignition switch is turned. No lights, no horn, nothing at all. EXTRA hint... My passing lights are wired up independent of the ignition, they pull right off the battery. When I flip the passing light switch (it's not the problem, I'm certain, but it DOES serve some diagnostic purpose here), I get a buzzing sound from around the battery (just aft of the battery, I think). The seat is off, of course.

I haven't found my multi-meter yet so I don't have acces to it at this time.

Did I bugger the starter or a fuse some way (I don't think so, I just hit the starter for an instant while it was running)? I'm going to try the "search" function, of course, but I thought this might be something one of (or several of) you-all might have some advice on!

Any Ideas? Thanks!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon (with a 22 year-old Porsche that is ALSO laid up with electrical problems!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!)

Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well sure sounds electrical to me... Do you have a battery charger unpacked yet? If so plug it in a give it a nice charge, maybe you got a charge meter on the battery charger? First thing is you need power... Sounds like you have a short somewhere... Maybe worth going to get a cheap multimeter if you cant locate yours quickly... Good luck

Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you have no dash lights it should be a fuse... i would pull each one out one by one and check em... clicking your starter button while it is running will not ruin the bike liek that... but it may puff a fuse

Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Splatter
Road Master

Originally Posted by kiltiemon
EXTRA hint... My passing lights are wired up independent of the ignition, they pull right off the battery. When I flip the passing light switch (it's not the problem, I'm certain, but it DOES serve some diagnostic purpose here), I get a buzzing sound from around the battery (just aft of the battery, I think).
Are you sure your lights are direct to the battery? That would be a lot of current to run through a switch. Usually things like that go through a relay and a relay being powered by a (mostly) dischared battery would hum. And it would also explain all the symptoms.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

check the integrity of the cable from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter. had one partially break. showed correct voltage but the few wire strands that were left could'nt support the amperage to operate the starter
all power from the bike is distributed from the starter terminal to circuit breakers and or fuses

Last edited by 2002fxdp; 10-27-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and just because the fuse looks good, doesn't mean it is.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 555 Likes on 329 Posts

I would suggest checking fuses as indicated. I've had the "no power" situation after running for awhile on my '97 Wide Glide (carbed) and both times all I did was clean the battery connections with rubbing alcohol and re-tightened the connections and was able to start the bike right away.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd say check the battery and cables. Most likely they are the culprit.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your ground cable from the battery where it is bolted to the frame

Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 AM
dynhd1
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the panel dash harness at your ignition switch ,,unplug the harness,, had the same problem and found the staycom connectors burned and not making good contact,,, 2000 fxdwg

Quick Reply: Won't Start. No Power!