Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:16 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

thx. .... duh on my part

Old 04-08-2019, 01:20 PM
FXDBij
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, wow what a thread!

I'm slowly compiling all the parts and bits I need for this. I have a stupid question though.

I'm planning on doing this with the tank mounted on the bike, and thus will need to drain it.

So, questions:
What's the best way to drain the tank (and clean it out?) without removing it? I've read that cutting (two pinches, a cut in between) the hose that connects both sides of the tank (#21 in the imgur image below) is the best way to do it. If that's the case, i assume I replace that hose? Or insert quick disconnects into the cut ends and boom it's quick disconnect? That hose is also at a high-point of the tank, so i'm curious if it gets alllll the juice out or ...?

Also there was mention of "On the fuel line clamps, you will have to clip off the clamp tabs to slip it through the tank output threaded hole." To be clear, that's this bit here: https://i.imgur.com/IqWLLMf.png So on the bottom left of the tank, when sitting on the bike?

Finally, the corbin clamps linked are a kit of 4 sizes. I assume only one is needed. The hoses we're using are 5/16" ID, what's the OD? The smallest clamps in the kit given (https://www.napaonline.com/p/NDP7051300) is 3/8" (0.3125 vs 0.375 of an inch). Are these the best, easiest option, or are there better/easier options? The zinc-coated-steel ones look great but i'm not sure how easy they are to work with.

Quick Disconnects:
body: http://quickcouplings.net/osc/produc...68746a154c8e46
insert: http://quickcouplings.net/osc/produc...68746a154c8e46

After looking at those prices i'm thinking maybe NOT to do quick disconnect for the tank crossover... I haven't been able to find it much cheaper anywhere else either...

Based on this knowledge, just to review what's required (07 fxdb):
Common tips I've seeen through this thread are:

On the fuel line clamps, you will have to clip off the clamp tabs to slip it through the tank output threaded hole.

I found that it is a tiny bit easier if you put the filter o-ring onto the canister rather than placing it inside the black unit before you join them
I used a very sharp knife to score the old fuel line so it would come off easy.

I used my HF heat gun to warm the new hose and make it go on easier. No way did I want to break those plastic fittings by applying too much force.
I used a heat gun to get mine on plus a little glycerin to lube it up.

I think that covers all of it.

I'm a lot nervous, but i think with those parts in hand i'll be able to do it. Anything i seem to be missing or incorrect on?

Last edited by FXDBij; 04-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

I did mine with the tank on the bike. I just siphoned the gas out once I had the tank cover off.

I think I've got all the exact part #s I used for the clamps/hoses from NAPA written down somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

The following users liked this post:
FXDBij (04-09-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:17 AM
FXDBij
Intermediate

@Reindeer any luck?

Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDBij
@Reindeer any luck?
I couldn't find my receipts that I'm sure I have somewhere, but from earlier in the thread:

Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?-photo472.jpg
Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?-photo430.jpg
Anybody replace there in tank fuel line?-photo328.jpg

Old 05-06-2019, 05:10 PM
FXDBij
Intermediate

OK well i did it. what a ****ing pain in the ***! to give an idea of my mechanical inclination: i've changed my oil a couple times, and replaced my tail lights and exhaust, that's about it. this is also my first real vehicle, but i have the service manual and as you can see in my earlier comment, did a bunch of research.

i'd say the BIGGEST trouble was draining the tank- holy hell did i make a giant mess. i went to one of those repair cafes and bought 10h of time, and had poured probably a half litre of gasoline everywhere by my second hour. they were suupppeerr pleased i'm sure, especially cause that particular place's bread-and-butter is the bar that's attached and this was a friday night. so gas stink aside, getting the fuel filter back INTO the canister was another hard one. I don't know how you guys didn't all harp on how much of a trouble it was, but it took two of us and 15 minutes of trying to apply force in just the right way so as to actually push the thing closed but not break it.

the other, super helpful thing i learned right at the very end, was that the hose from the check valve/QD at the bottom corner of the tank also quick-disconnects from the fuel pump assembly. Would have been GREAT to know that (i know a couple people mentioned it in this thread but i missed them) BEFORE trying to get the hose from the bottom of the tank onto the fuel pump (and again nearly breaking everything from force). Also apparently there's an o-ring in there that you should check replace, i didn't realize that until i'd closed everything up and read that line in the SM.

All said, this has made my throttle a bit snappier- my fuel sock was gross, there was sediment at the bottom of the tank, and my fuel filter was pretty nasty too- but i'm still getting hard starts (when hot only). that's a problem for future me, i guess 🤷*♀️

thanks for all the help everyone, this thread was primo 👌

Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM
mahagowitz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got over 93k on my '07 StreetBob with still my original fix. I've taken everything out two or three times to check it out and I about guarantee you after the second time it gets easier. I've also reused my gasket and screws after replacing the whole lot of them the first time, never replaced that quick connect o-ring. It all gets easier with less worry as the years and miles go on.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,089 Likes on 1,914 Posts

replaced my fuel filter today after 39k miles, sure seems they could make it easier, anyhow found out that their is an o ring for the fuel discharge line that one must disconnect to get the assembly out. I test ran it before reassembling all and it spit and stumbled. lucky was able to shine a light into tank and see it laying in bottom, the HD service manual shows or says nothing about this. checked the fuel lines, they looked ok but next filter change think will do as reindeer done with his assembly.
also reused the cover gasket and screws with no problem.
looked again in service manual, does show a small note about fuel line o ring but no illistrations.

Last edited by MRFREEZE57; 05-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 AM
Solid87
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-Ring!

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
replaced my fuel filter today after 39k miles, sure seems they could make it easier, anyhow found out that their is an o ring for the fuel discharge line that one must disconnect to get the assembly out. I test ran it before reassembling all and it spit and stumbled. lucky was able to shine a light into tank and see it laying in bottom, the HD service manual shows or says nothing about this. checked the fuel lines, they looked ok but next filter change think will do as reindeer done with his assembly.
also reused the cover gasket and screws with no problem.
looked again in service manual, does show a small note about fuel line o ring but no illistrations.
I read about the o-ring in the manual, and ordered the entire assembly (check valve, fuel line and o-ring) for roughly $50. I had a heck of a time getting that hose disconnected so I could remove the fuel pump assembly from the tank. When I went to connect the new line with new o-ring into the pump assembly, it will not go on. There is a small shoulder on the end male end of that plastic connector, I rolled the o-ring up and over that shoulder so and it fit in there perfectly, but then it seems way too loose when I clip it in to the assembly.

I believe the o-ring needs to be on the other side of that small shoulder (in front) but I can't seem to get it to clip in when the o-ring is in that position. Like the previous poster mentioned, after I removed the pump assembly from the tank, I saw the o-ring in the bottom of the tank. That tells me that it was indeed on the front side of that male connector, because there's no way that it could've come out of the position you see pictured. So frustrating. Any ideas? For what it's worth, this is a 2010 Dyna Wide Glide.