Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" & 3" tank lifts effect on gas gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
I recently swapped out the tank and I put a half gallon of gas in, then adjusted the gauge sending unit arm to trigger the warning light right at the half gallon level. The sending unit float is pretty much sitting on the bottom of the tank at a half gallon. I still rely on the odometer but it is nice to have the gauge functioning, and now when my warning light comes on I know I have a half gallon left (about 20 miles).
Please tell me you took pictures of this and want to post them here. I am going to swap my tank in the next few weeks and wanted to poke around in there to see if I could do that exact thing. My 3" lift threw off the gauge, even though I use the trip meter. But I like to have my shat working properly...

Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all one of the reasons I bought my FXD was because I liked the look of the tank - it's just a cleaner look. I have a 2" lift and haven't had the bad experiences other guys here have dealt with. I ran out of gas once and now appreciate the fact that my low fuel light comes one with a gallon or so of gas left in the tank. And, after my long *** walk I also use the odo method. If you've ever walked 2-3 miles in Louisiana in August you'll understand.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

With a 3" lift, when my needle hits E, through testing, I figure I can go another 40 miles or so. I don't usually push it.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies everyone, was basically what I was expecting.

WS6, do you have a writeup, or a how to to "tweak" your gas gauge to work better with a tank lift? This sounds really interesting.

Thanks bro.

Gauge will read lower then actual after tank lift. I raised my tank 1.60", warning light came on earlier. I recently swapped out the tank and I put a half gallon of gas in, then adjusted the gauge sending unit arm to trigger the warning light right at the half gallon level. The sending unit float is pretty much sitting on the bottom of the tank at a half gallon. I still rely on the odometer but it is nice to have the gauge functioning, and now when my warning light comes on I know I have a half gallon left (about 20 miles).

Old 01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 246 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Please tell me you took pictures of this and want to post them here. I am going to swap my tank in the next few weeks and wanted to poke around in there to see if I could do that exact thing. My 3" lift threw off the gauge, even though I use the trip meter. But I like to have my shat working properly...
Here's the only photos I took, also read my response below to yoseppi: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

Originally Posted by yoseppi
Thanks for the replies everyone, was basically what I was expecting.

WS6, do you have a writeup, or a how to to "tweak" your gas gauge to work better with a tank lift? This sounds really interesting.

Thanks bro.
I don't have a write up, but basically you remove your console and tank access plate, remove the sending unit. The float rod has a "V" bend right by the sending unit, use two pliers to open up that angle of that "V" just a little, put the sending unit back in and with you sitting on the bike upright, turn on your ignition and run switch and wait a few minutes because the signal to the gage is delayed. You will have to do this several times until you get the reading you want. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I used a half gallon of fuel and set that point to trigger my low fuel warning light.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoseppi
I'm kicking around the idea of doing a 2" or 3" tank lift on my fxdb but was wondering how much it would throw off the accuracy of the gauge. I already know the gauge isn't as reliable as it should, but it is somewhat close to reliable to when I need gas & such.

Just am afraid if I put on a 3" lift my gauge will be showing half full and the tank will be empty.

Any thoughts on gauge accuracy after a tank lift had been installed.
the lift did affect my gas gauge/low fuel light as others have posted but I too just use the odometer to be accurate and I fill up about every 150 miles regardless.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's the only photos I took, also read my response below to yoseppi: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

I don't have a write up, but basically you remove your console and tank access plate, remove the sending unit. The float rod has a "V" bend right by the sending unit, use two pliers to open up that angle of that "V" just a little, put the sending unit back in and with you sitting on the bike upright, turn on your ignition and run switch and wait a few minutes because the signal to the gage is delayed. You will have to do this several times until you get the reading you want. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I used a half gallon of fuel and set that point to trigger my low fuel warning light.
I nominate this as post of the year!
All us poor suckers are riding around with no idea how much fuel we have.
This sounds like a quick easy fix.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's the only photos I took, also read my response below to yoseppi
I did see that thread. I shall be doing both of those improvements in a few weeks. Thanks for the pointers...