Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Mount Fuel Gauge/Tank Lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:14 PM
EndOfAnEra
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flush Mount Fuel Gauge/Tank Lift

Ok I've done a whooole lot of reading on this topic here from searching threads. I have an 07 Street Bob. I'm reading that the gauge will be off if you have a tank lift installed, and that the softtail kit reads more accurately for some reason. Can anyone explain why this is the case? I don't rely on the gauge, but if I'm going to put the flush mounts on, I might as well get the better one for my situation.

I also saw a few discussions about different types of softtail kits, but no one was posting product numbers. I can find is 75027-08C and 75020-08C. Can anyone confirm which one is going to work on a 2007 Dyna?

Last edited by EndOfAnEra; 01-22-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm afraid that I can't confirm your parts numbers.

The reason that the guages can't be trusted after a tank lift is because the tank is tilted upwards causing the fuel to head to the rear (that's what she said)

The following users liked this post:
sn95bullitt (01-22-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 AM
EndOfAnEra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robbyville
I'm afraid that I can't confirm your parts numbers.

The reason that the guages can't be trusted after a tank lift is because the tank is tilted upwards causing the fuel to head to the rear (that's what she said)
yep I understand that, but what makes the softtail one read better?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,517 Likes on 2,136 Posts

The gauge really has nothing to do with the readings as I understand it. The gauge only displays the values the in tank sender reads. If you're going to try to install a gauge from a different model, you have to be sure a) the tank fitting dimensions are the same - so it will actually fit, and b) is the pin out/connector on the gauge itself the same.

Why its said that the softail gauge is more accurate is a mystery to me - I've never heard it nor have I had a softail. However the HD fuel gauge is probably the least accurate instrument I've ever seen, the only thing worse are the painted on gauges on toys.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM
EndOfAnEra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mchad
The gauge really has nothing to do with the readings as I understand it. The gauge only displays the values the in tank sender reads. If you're going to try to install a gauge from a different model, you have to be sure a) the tank fitting dimensions are the same - so it will actually fit, and b) is the pin out/connector on the gauge itself the same.

Why its said that the softail gauge is more accurate is a mystery to me - I've never heard it nor have I had a softail. However the HD fuel gauge is probably the least accurate instrument I've ever seen, the only thing worse are the painted on gauges on toys.
haha fair enough. I was initially just wanting to blank it off and use the one on my speedo/trip calculator, but blanking it seems to cause even more problems.

I actually checked the part # for the gauge in each package and they're all the same, so I think someone just had their own take on it that wasn't thought out.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds about right, good luck!

Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 AM
_LostSoul_
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra
Ok I've done a whooole lot of reading on this topic here from searching threads. I have an 07 Street Bob. I'm reading that the gauge will be off if you have a tank lift installed, and that the softtail kit reads more accurately for some reason. Can anyone explain why this is the case? I don't rely on the gauge, but if I'm going to put the flush mounts on, I might as well get the better one for my situation.

I also saw a few discussions about different types of softtail kits, but no one was posting product numbers. I can find is 75027-08C and 75020-08C. Can anyone confirm which one is going to work on a 2007 Dyna?
I had this exact setup with a 2.5" lift. The gauge is accurate and swapping out the float will do nothing for you. You will loose capacity in your tank due to the angle of the lift. I think I lost about 30 miles per tank.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:21 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

never seen a Harley with an accurate gauge.. use one of your trip meters
and just fill up when you reach a certain mileage or when the light comes on