Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Road King hard bags on a Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 Road King hard bags on a Dyna?

Anyone think it would be possible? I have a line on a set with mounting hardware and rear crash bars. If it would be to much of a PITA I won't call on the guy.

Shawn

Old 04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I looked into it, but it would be a lot of trouble to get them to work. Part of the mounting hardware is a bracket that lies flat against the aft down sides of the rear fender that support the back side of the underlying support bracket. Also, the cross brace is tied in to that piece. The FLH fenders are longer and if you tried to just adapt it to where it 'should' go to work it would look kind of out of place. Then, on the forward side of the bags mounting brackets they mount up to the frame around where the passenger foot pegs go on the Dyna. I was thinking there is a 'work around' that would allow them to work with the Dyna, but I ended up abandoning the concept myself and going with the older style FLH bags (pre-'85) ... see my photo below. Only thing to complete my install is the cross brace ... it's on order and I hope to see it this week.

R/
Priest

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on I kinda had my doubts but wanted to be sure. I like what you have going on! Looks great!

Thanks Shawn

Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

I think they might be a little narrower, but don't have the 'carve out' in the middle where the Road King shocks encroach on the bag ... so, I think the volume is pretty close to the same (they hold a lot) ....

The thing that sold me on this approach is that they have support brackets that can be mounted on the struts (and, of course, the cross brace as mentioned above) ....

I've been using them a little over a week and am really diggin' them ... first time out in the weather, I got a little moisture in the left bag, but I replaced the gasket so hope that solves that issue.

I was able to figure out a pretty simple mounting 'work around' solution that basically extended the stock bag mounting bracket with an 1/8" steel strap. Had to cut the stock and drill a few holes ... that was it ....

I mounted them over my quick detach hardware, so use them with my QD rack and sissy bar ....

See my photo gallery for a couple more photos ....

R/
Priest

Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Hard Bags

It looks like you could put your lunch in the R/H bag and the muffler could heat it for you. Does it get warm inside the bag ?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
It looks like you could put your lunch in the R/H bag and the muffler could heat it for you. Does it get warm inside the bag ?
I could put a can of soup in there and open it when I stop for lunch!

I haven't really checked to see if it was hot in there after riding ... my commute has me riding for an hour and a half ... I could bake bread or something!

It isn't quite as close as it looks from that photo ... there's about an inch and a half between the pipe and the bracket, and then there's a stand-off that further isolates the bag from the frame. Also, the bag is fiberglass, so the material should act as an insulator ... huh? Well, I'll check and report back ....

R/
Priest

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Brings back memories! I fitted those bags to my Super Glide back in 1974, but then the frame was the same as the Glides of the day, so no adaptation needed. A Dyna muffler (or FX1200) is much smaller than the dresser muffler that normally lives under those bags. I don't recall heat ever being a problem, in some 40k miles of use.