Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes Do Save Lives "when used effectively""

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIDE
I almost never use my horn mostly because it sounds like a wounded Duck, and I can yell a lot louder.

You need a louder horn. Frankly it was your skills saves your life not the pipes.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you made it through that ordeal ok! Luckily you had the sense to see what was about to happen and you were able to take the correct actions to get yourself out of it. It's amazing the **** that goes on out there!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Man, glad you made it out alive. I still owe you a cup of coffee.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I miss about my softail is my loud pipes. I don't feel I am heard like I was on my old obnoxious bike. Whether or not you believe it, the whap of the throttle jerked a lot cars back in their lanes when I wasn't in their line of sight. <--fact.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
So, your loud pipes didn't help until you made them VERY loud... you did about the same thing as pushing the horn button - you just twisted the throttle instead.

The "Loud pipes save lives" claim implies that by the nature of your pipes being loud normally, she wouldn't have pulled out at all, because she would have heard you. She didn't - you needed to do something more. Your story does more to prove that having loud pipes does NOT help.
Let's be a bit practical here. My V&H SS's w/o the baffles are not really that loud @ 40 mph in 4th gear. Not a whole lot over an idle actually. But when I crack the throttle, people know I'm there. To me, they're loud when I'm on the gas, but they're not what I would call loud at a mild cruise of 40 mph in traffic, when I'm not really on the gas.

BTW, nice bike!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shag67
About ten days ago I was coming home and some idiot started to switch into my lane where I was, coming left... I saw her start fading into my lane, then saw a look of "oh ****!" appear on her face as she heard my bike. She jerked back into her lane and avoided smearing me all over the road. We both stopped at a traffic light and she rolled down her window and said "Thank God you have loud pipes on that bike so that I heard you and didn't kill you! I feel the need to somehow make it up to you!" So I let her blow me. Thank goodness for loud pipes!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

I didnt use my horn because it is not that loud and I am not used to thumbing for that button in a split second life and death situation. The crack of the throttle is 10 times louder than any other horn I have ever heard, its already in my hand, and the sound gets a lot of attention when I crack it hard. I guarantee she would have never heard the horn and I would have been down.

Loud pipes can save lives when used to wake up an inattentive driver.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Shag67
About ten days ago I was coming home and some idiot started to switch into my lane where I was, coming left... I saw her start fading into my lane, then saw a look of "oh ****!" appear on her face as she heard my bike. She jerked back into her lane and avoided smearing me all over the road. We both stopped at a traffic light and she rolled down her window and said "Thank God you have loud pipes on that bike so that I heard you and didn't kill you! I feel the need to somehow make it up to you!" So I let her blow me. Thank goodness for loud pipes!
Bwaaahahaha!!!! I see you failed to mention she was a hot number, makes it more believable!!! yeah right!!! Bwaaahahahaha!!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TIDE
Lets beat this dead horse again.

Friday, I am on my way home in Rush hour traffic on a small two lane no shoulder road with lots of side streets. Traffic is thick in both directions moving 40mph. The only real escape would be to hop the sidewalk over a big curb and if you make it, end up on someones lawn. That curb would hurt though!!!

So I am riding along and then I see her. A car at the stop sign looking to come out on my road, and she is looking away from me.
Dont do it....dont do it....."as I am slowing down"........dont do it......dont freaking do it....... SON OF A B@#$H!!!!

SHE DID IT.

I almost never use my horn mostly because it sounds like a wounded Duck, and I can yell a lot louder. My instant reaction without an escape route was to clutch, break hard, and crack my throttle very loud. She heard that and hit her brake leaving me just enough room to squeeze by her and not cross into oncoming traffic. I only had inches. If she did not hear me, I would have made impact for sure.

That was so close.
Buy an 'ATTENTION GETTING' horn....the exhaust is much louder behind than in front....glad you avoided disaster but,IMPO an air horn would have got her attention sooner...dont have to pull your clutch either...avoids someone running over you from the rear...:>)

Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Maybe this guy has the right idea!!!!

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes Do Save Lives "when used effectively""