Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carb spitting gas - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 AM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question carb spitting gas - HELP!

just moved to AZ from CT, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide. twin cam 88 with stock carb. biked failed emmisions, gas is spitting out of carb into air cleaner. the choke wont stay pulled out (might be a separate issue?)

How do I fix the carb? Is the float stuck? Does something else on the carb just need to be adjusted?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on a 2-stroke and it turned out to be a clogged exhaust pipe. Since this is a 4-stroke, think of what could force air from the engine back to the carb. Stuck intake valve???

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you are just out of tune. Carb may just need an adjustment. http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html

The choke thing is pretty easy. Behind the choke **** bracket is a large nut, hold that in place while tighting the front nut. This will compress a bushing around the choke rod and give it a little more friction to hold it in place. Tighten it just enough to keep it out....Dont go crazy on it!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Does spitting occur while the "enrichener **** is pulled out? Do you push in the **** after the bike is warmed up, usually a couple of minutes or a couple miles. Could be something as your plugs starting to foul or your intake valves not closing completely during the compression stroke.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:34 AM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Default Thanks

Thanks I will try to tighten the not on the choke.

The gas dripping from the air cleaner housing did get worse when I put the stock baffles back in the V&H pipes (I had thunder Header baffles in there that allowed better exhaust flow and deepened the sound of the pipes and made it louder while still having enough back pressure to stop the back firing and spitting upon decelleration).

I just ordered the the repair manual for my bike and will attempt to make adjustments before going back for a 2nd emmissions test.

I just looked at the link for adjusting the carb and I will try that. Would you also recommend me installing a stage 1 tuner kit? Does the EZ-Just mixture screw really make it easy to tune or is it unneccesary?

Last edited by dynarider1821; 07-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM
wescoot2
Road Master

Sounds like you ne to re-jet your carb.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Y2KFXDman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarider1821
Thanks I will try to tighten the nut on the choke...
Go easy; it's plastic... and NEVER, EVER lubricate that enrichener shaft.
...I just looked at the link for adjusting the carb and I will try that.
You should be able to drill out the plug whilst the carburetor is still mounted on the bike, if you use a Dremel tool and its flexible shaft, BUT....

I'd remove the bowl and clean up in there, first. Shoot carb cleaner up at the float-valve/seat area, remove the jets and soak them a minute. Be careful not to loose anything. Wipe the bowl, button it all up, and test ride.

There's no need to buy any parts without first ensuring everything is clean and tight.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Does the EZ-Just mixture screw really make it easy to tune or is it unneccesary?
EZ-Mix screw is awesome for tweaking your carb.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Question rubbing alcohol in Harley????

has anyone heard of putting half a bottle of rubbing alcohol in ur gas tank with half a tank of gas to help u pass emmissions testing?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Pretty much nothing is going to help ya, but a good running bike. I'm thinking you ought to start there first: get it running right and not spitting gas the wrong way... no doubt you failed emmissions.... sounds like way to much fuel. What does the local dealer recommend for jet size in your area of AZ?

Quick Reply: carb spitting gas - HELP!