Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint

Anyone know the best way to get the tank badges off of my 08 fat bob with black denim paint?

Cheers,
Mickey

Old 08-07-2009, 02:13 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Set the bike in the sun for a bit. get a piece of fishing line and run it between the tank and the badges. Done. If any glue is left get some goo gone...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Trawfish
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this two days ago... I had already done my reflectors and went for the tank (black denim) Like others say, get some fishing line (I used a tough twine) and it's just like flossing teeth. Slip the twine behind the badges and pull through while sliding from side to side.

Incidentally, I used 3m adhesive remover on the rear fender reflector for clean up with no problems. I used my thumb on the tank cause there was hardly any adhesive left and then cleaned the whole tank with Turtle Wax "Ice" Synthetic Spray Detailer. I had been using Windex and Simple Green after reading of others using it, but this stuff works great. It cleans well without leaving any streaks and doesn't leave that dry rough haze behind. It does NOT leave a wax like shine either, it just looks like clean new paint. I can't speak for long term, but I have used in on several other things with no problems yet.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed the back reflectors off my rear fender by heating it up with a hair dryer and spraying some Mosenbocher Lift Off adhesive remover on it then slowly peeling the reflector off. Didn't damage anything.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ive used dental floss before with success.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM
mhawk
6th Gear

Hair Dryer and Fishing line worked great for me.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Borderman
Cruiser
Default here

i have an 08 fat bob. i heated them up with a hair dryer and used a plastic putty scraper and they pulled right off no problem no damage to paint. see for yourself in the before - middle - and after pics

Attached Thumbnails Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint-before.jpg   Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint-middle.jpg   Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint-after.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
TheOak
Cruiser

The summer sun will heat it up enough. And don't forget those dorky reflectors on the forks...

Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
minutemaidman
Advanced

I used dental floss and then rubbing alcohol for the little bit of residual. While working on my fork reflectors I really buggered them up and had to sand them down and polish them. There was a thread on here about a year ago that taught me how. Good good results.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fork reflectors may be dorky, just don't ride at night without them. They are like tonsils and appendix's put there for a reason,

Quick Reply: Removing Tank Badges with Denim Paint