Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quik Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Quik Tire Question

A little bored today and decided to give the scoot a thorough cleaning.

Noticed that the "wear marks" on the rear tire (Dunlop) are just becomming visible. Has around 6,200 miles on it and still decent tread left. Last tire was replaced at 9,000 miles.

Checked the manual for kicks and it says to replace when wear marks are visible.

Just wondering why marks are becoming visible so soon. I'm definitely not replacing the tire with a decent amount of tread left.

Anybody have the same experience with wear marks?

Thanks,
Sammi

Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What exactly is a decent amount. Sammi? I don't pay attention to wear bars particularly. I check the tread depth with a guage and replace at 2/32nds. That's not carved in granite, but kind of a guideline I use.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,366 Likes on 2,374 Posts

You can also use a penny to gauge tread depth. Insert the penny in the tread, if you can see the top of Lincoln's head time to start looking. I've gone as far as tread bars level with the tread, if I know I am riding local the tire stays a little while longer, long trips it would get changed.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't have a guage, but checked using the penny method and can't see Lincoln's head.

Will either get a guage or bring it to local indy shop to get a reading.

It's just that I remember that when the previous tire needed replacement the wear marks became visible when tread was considerably more worn down.

Sammi

Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure what you mean by wear marks are visible. If that means that in the tire has worn down so that the wear mark has made a "bridge" across the tread then you there is no way your tread in that same area (the area your tire is wearing) can hide Lincoln's head. I know I still have a little left on my tires before that wear indicator is flush with the rest of the tire, but on the outer part of the tire my tread is almost new. Still need to get them replaced... traction is determined by the amount of tread in the contact patch (the area your tire is wearing).

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
Not sure what you mean by wear marks are visible. If that means that in the tire has worn down so that the wear mark has made a "bridge" across the tread then you there is no way your tread in that same area (the area your tire is wearing) can hide Lincoln's head. I know I still have a little left on my tires before that wear indicator is flush with the rest of the tire, but on the outer part of the tire my tread is almost new. Still need to get them replaced... traction is determined by the amount of tread in the contact patch (the area your tire is wearing).
Just checked with a penny again.

The wear mark is visible but still well below the rest of the tread. - not close to being flush.

The top of Abe's head is still below the tread at it's lowest level, and well below the tread in the least worn area.

I'll get a guage and keep an eye on it.

Sammi

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Sammi
I don't have a guage, but checked using the penny method and can't see Lincoln's head.

I should think not, old chap - should be the Queen's (that's a British joke!).

Seriously - when the tread has worn down so that it is flush with the wear bars is when they are supposed to be replaced. That is the lowest we are supposed to let them wear. Personally I normally find the tyres start to feel 'off' before they gat down that far, so replace them sooner.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info.

I didn't think it had to be replaced as soon as the wear marks became visible.

Sammi

Old 08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really though, even if they are bald they still have a large contact area – isn’t the tread only really good for pushing water out? On a dry road isn’t a bald tire commensurate to a racing slick? Wouldn’t the big concern be when the ply is starting to show?

I’m down to the wear bars on mine. Have a replacement sitting at home, but I think I’m going to ride it around until it gets a little more worn. LOL Spare that new tire a few miles.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

check, no need to replace before the wear bar is flush with the rest of the tire. Yeah if you can see it but it isn't flush keep on truckin' A tread depth gauge will suggest you replace the tire 1/32" prior to the wear bar becoming flush with the rest of the tire. Hell I just put the tires on 2 months ago and I am already there so going to wait until I hit the wear indicator.

Yes, on dry pavement you shouldn't have any issues on a good road, but I would rather not chance of being out and about and it raining, or someone being over zealous with the watering of their grass. Just my opinion... replace the tires when you decide the benefits outweigh the risk... everyone's answer to that is probably different.