Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide glide clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wide glide clunk

have the typical clunk in the front end on my '06 WG with 9K miles. replaced the steel washer on the steering head and torques to specs. No change. bike handles great but still have that annoying clund when I hit a bump on the road. any ideas?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Way2Fast
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet it's the front gas tank mount. I had the same problem.. replaced washer. etc. then I had my tank warranteed for the fuel pump gasket leaking and ruining my paint. Drove home from the dealer and had some serious clunk... looked around and found the front of the tank could be lifted up. tightened the bolts and wa la no more clunk!! hope this helps!!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to go deeper than the washer and top nut. There is also a nut belowe the top tree to adjust the bearing pre-load. If you don't have a service manual get one and check/adjust the fall off on the front end.

The following users liked this post:
benscratchin (06-22-2022)
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 PM
MarkM
Tourer

I just fixed the clunk on my '05 last week. Loosened the top nut, then tightened the adjusting nut below the top triple tree. Tightened the top nut again, and checked the fall away. I had to do it a couple times to get it right. It was easy to over-tighten the adjusting nut. I read somewhere to tighten the top nut to 100 ft-lbs instead of the recommended 80. This did the trick. Everything's fine now.

The following users liked this post:
benscratchin (06-22-2022)
Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed it on my '04 WG by just changing the washer and tightening to 80 ft-lbs.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 04'-05' are different animals and don't really apply to the 06' up clunk as relating to the washer TSB. I also have the clunk and performed the washer repair and fall away, it did nothing. I am having a hard time isolating where it is coming from, but I really have not focused on it as a trouble shot yet either, just want to ride. It sounds like it is internally in the fork??? One forum member said his was due to an upper fork housing bushing moving up and down. I would agree with that, except he said he still had to slide hammer the assembly out, so how could it have been loose??? I am thinking maybe it is the fork lock, but it does not seem to be coming from that area? Mine seems to clunk when the forks are rebounding rather than when compressing, doesn't happen when actually hitting the bump, but after. I would hate to take the forks and triples apart to look for a problem if I can't isolate it to that. It is starting to annoy me more so I guess it is time to spend some time looking at it more closely.
Anyone out there looked closer into this, please post.
CB

Old 08-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine still has it after 4 attempts to get it fixed at the dealer(s) (3 Harley and 1 Indy). Changed the washers, retorqued again and again.
Still there.
Last dealer told me it was a floating front brake caliper... or was it a floating rotor? Who the he** knows?
Anyway, I stopped worrying about it.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 PM
MarkM
Tourer

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
The 04'-05' are different animals and don't really apply to the 06' up clunk as relating to the washer TSB. CB
So, we have the same problem with 2 different causes in 2 different model years? Hell, it's a Harley so I guess that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 04'-05' are different animals and don't really apply to the 06' up clunk
Pre '06 Wide Glide front ends were made the same way all '06 and later Dynas are. All the other pre '06 Dynas were different.
The term 'Wide Glide clunk' was around way before '06 and was a problem with FX Softails as well as Wide Glides.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by murphdog
Pre '06 Wide Glide front ends were made the same way all '06 and later Dynas are. All the other pre '06 Dynas were different.
The term 'Wide Glide clunk' was around way before '06 and was a problem with FX Softails as well as Wide Glides.
But not related to the washer TSB as I noted. I think 41mm forks are a little different than the 49mm? You are right though, I am unfamiliar with the pre 06' WG forks.
CB

Quick Reply: wide glide clunk