Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary noise

Ok ... so I change fluids (not sure this is related, but that is when it started) ... I am getting a fairly loud WHIRRRR sound in 1st or 2nd gear if I pull the clutch in when the RPMs are at shifting speed i.e. if I run from 1st gear getting ready to go to 2nd and I don't shift - just hold in the clutch ... also if I'm down shifting to a stop I'll get the noise at 2nd and 1st gear ... especially if I coast to the stop in 1st gear w/ the clutch pulled in. Fluid level in the primary is normal, and I just adjusted the clutch cable as I had some freeplay in the lever (thought that might be the cause, but it's still there)

Any ideas?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My primary has whirred since new. Had the dealer pull the cover at 4 or 5000 miles and check it. Nothing....just the chain noise. I changed my oil from Redline MTL to a 50-50 mix of Redline MTL & MT90 which makes it about a 40w oil. Lowered the chain noise by about 50%. What fluid are you using?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This is an interesting combo...

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
My primary has whirred since new. Had the dealer pull the cover at 4 or 5000 miles and check it. Nothing....just the chain noise. I changed my oil from Redline MTL to a 50-50 mix of Redline MTL & MT90 which makes it about a 40w oil. Lowered the chain noise by about 50%. What fluid are you using?

Do you notice any difference in the feel of the clutch? And how does it primary perform with this combo?

Thanks,
Bart

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Inner primary bearing? what year is it 2006 had issues

Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Inner primary bearing? what year is it 2006 had issues
2006 Street Bob ... how do I check it? What are the ramifications of ignoring this?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
doorsidedown
Road Captain

you're primary bearing needs replaced. I'm in the same boat. originally, harley said they'd take care of this for any 06 dyna for life... but then the economy downturned, and harley took their statement back on April 27 2009. The ramifications... it bugs the chit out of you, and my motor guy says the sound will get worse and worse. As far as damage, i don't know. It's a 3 hour replace job, and not much for the bearing itself. I'm about to do it - so i'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

Originally Posted by doorsidedown
you're primary bearing needs replaced. I'm in the same boat. originally, harley said they'd take care of this for any 06 dyna for life... but then the economy downturned, and harley took their statement back on April 27 2009. The ramifications... it bugs the chit out of you, and my motor guy says the sound will get worse and worse. As far as damage, i don't know. It's a 3 hour replace job, and not much for the bearing itself. I'm about to do it - so i'll let you know how it goes.
I know it's a lot to ask, but any documentation/pics of the process would be greatly appreciated ... I'm not intimidated to try this myself, but any and all help from someone who has been there done that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Before you go jumping the gun on a primary bearing, you'd better make sure thats what it is. If the noise is happening when you pull the clutch in, then the primary bearing aint the problem.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
JerryGarcia4295
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Before you go jumping the gun on a primary bearing, you'd better make sure thats what it is. If the noise is happening when you pull the clutch in, then the primary bearing aint the problem.
it is definately when I pull the clutch in ... and really only in the lower 2 gears ... especially 1st - it is mostly if I'm going a little too fast for that gear if the clutch were released i.e. I'm coming to a stop and I shift to 1st w/ the clutch pulled in, but I don't intend to release the clutch until I'm ready to pull away from the stop sign ... a roll up to the stop w/ the clutch lever pulled in and the bike in 1st gear if that makes sense.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Phil K
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 has made that noise..very faintly..since new. I recently had the inner primary bearing replaced..at HD's expense..and the noise was much more pronounced..sounded like a skateboard on a rough street..and was heard with the bike in neutral and stopped when put in gear with the clutch pulled in. Will have to listen and see if the other noise has disappeared also..haven't had the chance to ride much since i got it back........

Quick Reply: Primary noise