Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter shaft after forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: shifter shaft after forward controls

Well,..... I just encountered the same problem on my 06 Dyna and since i'm gonna have the dealer install my inner primary in a couple of days anywayI just decided to have him remove the shaft when he has the inner primary off and then install the forwards. They quoted me 2 1/2hrs of labor for changing out the inner primary and said that they wouldnt charge to just remove the shifter shaft if I wanted to install the forwards or would only charge 30 minutes more labor to install the forwards. So i'm just gonna have them do it all.

John

Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
rds1778
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I did just what WS6 said above, but instead of using a hacksaw from underneath, I used a Sawzaw with an 8" blade from the top. Cut it like butter. Just be careful not to cut anything else behind the inner primary. Also, like stated above, you don't need to change the tranny lever, just use the one that's already there.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 PM
soarer 1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 01 kit off Ebay for my 07 FXDC, and no issues at all.
I ended up making 2" forward brackets because it wasnt far enough forward for me. Made new brake, and gear rods myself.Not the kits fault.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, those of us with 05 and earlier bikes...I currently have my old mids shift shaft sticking out of my inspection cover with the supplied chrome cover on the end of it. Can I...

[ol][*]pull my outer primary cover (whould like to get a chrome one anyway)[*]take the Sawsall andlob off the outerend of the shift shaft somewherebetween the chain and the outer primary cover[*]leave the inner half of the shift shaft in place (going through the hole in the inner primary also)[*]cover the whole mess up with a nice new chrome outer primary cover and new solid chrome inspection cover[/ol]
Will the above be OK for my 05 FXD? I would think it would work fine.

Thanks again for all your help.
MV

Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
porker
Cruiser

Old 07-06-2009, 03:34 PM
NCONICK
Stage I
Default forward controls on fxd superglide

They were on the bike when I got it. I wasn't an experienced rider so my buddy took them off. Does anyone know where I can ge instructions on how to put them back on? I would like to do it myself and not ask anyone.....Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 AM
raksasas
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, here.
I got the kit for my 08. Got the right side done first. Then hoped on the net and came across this. So I have done what ya'll recommend just cut it with a hacksaw blade. Shaft came right out and the rod fell to the ground. Wow that saved a lot of time, so thanks for that tip.

I have the Plug from the kit for the outer, so no concern there. My concern is the inner hole. If I am reading what is stated below correct I don't have to do anything for the inner?:icon_question :? *puzzled*

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
If it does, what about the holes left behind? Is there any factory solutions or do I have to use a cork from a wine bottle? You can leave it open because that thru hole is sealed, no oil will leak out with or without the shaft. I stuck a stainless carriage boltin mine.http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/carriage_bolts.htm
Okay, so no oil will leak out but what about liquids leaking in, like water? I ride in the rain a lot. Just trying to make sure there is no concern with the inner hole.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raksasas
I got the kit for my 08. Got the right side done first. Then hoped on the net and came across this. So I have done what ya'll recommend just cut it with a hacksaw blade. Shaft came right out and the rod fell to the ground. Wow that saved a lot of time, so thanks for that tip.

I have the Plug from the kit for the outer, so no concern there. My concern is the inner hole. If I am reading what is stated below correct I don't have to do anything for the inner?:icon_question :? *puzzled*

Okay, so no oil will leak out but what about liquids leaking in, like water? I ride in the rain a lot. Just trying to make sure there is no concern with the inner hole.
no concern with the inner hole whatsoever....ride on

Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raksasas

my kit had two plugs, one chrome, one black. I put the black on the outside and the chrome one on the inside.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:03 PM
raksasas
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the responces. The found the answer which explained it why it doesn't mater if it is plugged or not.

"The outer primary doesn't have to be sealed off, you can leave it open, it is just capped or plugged for appearance. No oil will leak out of it because the two mating through holes are sealed when the inner and outer primary's were originally mated together, the original shaft that goes through the primary is basically going through a dry tunnel."

Quick Reply: shifter shaft after forward controls