Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After this week, I need a windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I know I'm in the minority but I say bolt the biggest windshield on the bike your comfortable with, otherwise whats the point. Very few Dyna guys (me included) like windshields. But when cold weather makes it a necessity....go for broke. This one off my Shovelhead and MAN does it break the wind. In a month or two I'll take it off like it was never there. But if its 30's and 40's out and your riding, why not get one thats gonna keep you out of the wind?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dislike the look of a windshield, so don't have it on very often. I have the standard QD model.

For me the minor reason is temperature; a windshield helps, but in my experience it is only worth about 5*. What I mean is, I get cold at hiway speeds when the temp dips under 45*. A windshield will make that about 40*. So with Rounder, I'd say if that is your main thing, get heated gear.

The major reason is apparently in my old age (51), I'm a woos. Hiway/freeway speeds for longer than about an hour and I just get tired of fighting the wind. My butt hurts, my back hurts, etc. A windshield enables me to enjoy an all-day ride. This is especially true (obviously) on a windy day. For me, a windshield just makes a long freeway ride less like an endurance/work thing.

Steve

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
I dislike the look of a windshield, so don't have it on very often. I have the standard QD model.

For me the minor reason is temperature; a windshield helps, but in my experience it is only worth about 5*. What I mean is, I get cold at hiway speeds when the temp dips under 45*. A windshield will make that about 40*. So with Rounder, I'd say if that is your main thing, get heated gear.

The major reason is apparently in my old age (51), I'm a woos. Hiway/freeway speeds for longer than about an hour and I just get tired of fighting the wind. My butt hurts, my back hurts, etc. A windshield enables me to enjoy an all-day ride. This is especially true (obviously) on a windy day. For me, a windshield just makes a long freeway ride less like an endurance/work thing.

Steve
Yeah like driving around in a car in weather below 50 deg. It is cold with the windows and sunroof open, yet crank up the heated seats and heater, it becomes refreshing. having cold wind blowing, while still remaining warm. Love that!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the windsheild when it is cooler out,also on my front crash bars I have the snap on type covers that really cut down on the cold cold air.
When it rains that combination is about the best I have used in over 35 years of doing this!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
flyscoal77
Cruiser

I have the memphis shades del rio and love it. Solid, looks good, detachable and no buffet. With the 3/4 helmet with face shield I could not ask for a better set-up. Better than the HD version that is ugly IMO and may buffet.

I keep it on all the time.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
gdt3
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by danktat
I picked up a little $50 jobby from e-bay. Just enough protection without overwhelming the front end of the bike (IMO).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fAccessories
Hey Danktat, That link doesn't look like the windshield on the bike in your post. Is it? If it isn't, would you please tell me what the windshield on the bike is and maybe a link to where a person can see it? Any opinions on it would be nice too.
Many thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
GameShark
Intermediate
Location: Southern Ca, 5 miles north of the Santa Monica Mtns
Default GameShark

No windshield, ah the looks, the feel of the wind love that. Certainly feel the bike better. But the bugs, damn I get stung, and struck all the time. Crossing Wyoming this summer I had grass hoppers an 1 1/2" thick under my boots on the forward pegs. Could hardly see through the shield. Woulda died without it. I guess that's why the have quick detach. Have one, use it when you feel like it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a qd use it for the same reasons when the weather is good off it comes

Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191

Steve