Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 AM
lowrider20000
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Advice?

I have an 06 Lowrider, and need a some help with an issue, the other day i went out for a little cruise, and now when i was going up a hill, i started to give it a little more to keep at cruising speed, while going up ive been having pinning issues and it started pinning all but halfway up the hill and then finally stopped like that, and when it stopped pinning, its like i lost a cylinder or something, i lost power going up, i gave it more gas to get up the hill but i wasnt gaining no speed, just losing it. Am i having injector problems? i dont know it started to freak me out like the bike was going to die, but what was weird is i turned off the road onto another road and when i made my turn i had full power again all the way home, couldnt make it ping at all on the way back, which i could do when going down the highway at 60 just crack on it ..........what the heck is going on????

Old 05-27-2010, 03:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Welcome to HDF from the UK. First rule, if it starts pinging ease off the throttle or change down a gear. You risk doing serious damage inside the engine if you let it ping like that.

I suggest you ride the same route again and if your bike starts pinging as it did last time do as I suggest. If the pinging goes away just ride like that every time! If it doesn't you could try a higher octane gas, which should also cure the problem.

If you keep having problems, get someone to check your bike over. Something may be out of adjustment.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM
lowrider20000
Stage IV

I am already putting in 91 octane, i never put anything less in unless i end up at a gas station that doesnt sell it and im out of options

Old 05-27-2010, 06:50 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What speed were you going and what gear???

I imagine, like grbrown said, that you were in too high of a gear for that speed at that grade of inclince.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrider20000
I am already putting in 91 octane, i never put anything less in unless i end up at a gas station that doesnt sell it and im out of options
I live in the UK and use 95 octane. I don't know how that compares with your gas in the US, but 91 sounds low! It is worth trying something better, at least for a tankful or two, to see if the pinging is stopped.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Since you don't mention downshifting, I am guessing as others have, you were in the wrong gear and lugging the motor.

91 is fairly standard premium in these parts, some 93 out there, but I don't think that is the problem. Compression is not high enough in a stock motor.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:50 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Depending how steep the hill was, you definitely needed to downshift.

{multiple smart a$$ remarks deleted}....kinder, gentler forum member at your service.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
{multiple smart a$$ remarks deleted}....kinder, gentler forum member at your service.
I see you are learning grasshopper.....

Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrider20000
I have an 06 Lowrider, and need a some help with an issue, the other day i went out for a little cruise, and now when i was going up a hill, i started to give it a little more to keep at cruising speed, while going up ive been having pinning issues and it started pinning all but halfway up the hill and then finally stopped like that, and when it stopped pinning, its like i lost a cylinder or something, i lost power going up, i gave it more gas to get up the hill but i wasnt gaining no speed, just losing it. Am i having injector problems? i dont know it started to freak me out like the bike was going to die, but what was weird is i turned off the road onto another road and when i made my turn i had full power again all the way home, couldnt make it ping at all on the way back, which i could do when going down the highway at 60 just crack on it ..........what the heck is going on????
It could very well be something as simple as -- Your gas went to hell. If you went for your first ride in a while and had let the gas sit in your tank for several weeks (or Months, even), your gas probably turned into something more akin to paint thinner. Or it 'varnished up' as we sometimes say.

You have 95 Octane available in the UK? Kewl. I don't think I've seen that high of an octane rating since Sunoco 260 went out of style. Maybe AvGas, but I ain't puttin' that in my Harley.

If you did let your bike sit for several weeks and then took it out, I'd put money (or even something of more value like -- Beer) on it being the gas.

Fill 'er up with some quality fuel and drive it.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
lowrider20000
Stage IV

the hill wasnt a tall incline just a steady up, and ive gone up that how many times, and i was in 6th gear and never had issue like that, ive gone up steeper than this one in 6th, and never had an issue, i just roll back the throttle and up she goes, but this time it had to put up a fight......as for fuel its about two weeks old, the bikes been in a shop for vibration problems which i fixed and runs great.

Quick Reply: Any Advice?