Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

master cylinder leak FXDC 09

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:47 PM
r46jack
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default master cylinder leak FXDC 09

master cylinder started leaking from the gasket under the cap.
A fxdc I test rode from a dealer a couple of years ago was doing the same, both with 3000 miles on clock.
Anyone had similar issues on later models.
I have found out that softails had an upgrade cap n gasket for 2010.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Had a buddy that was complaining about the same thing. One thing I noticed when looking it over for him was the cap was awfully tight. Loosened it up a little and it stopped. Over tightening the cap will cause the gasket to leak.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned

Stealer covered my paint peeling cover under warranry, 2+ on too tight cover.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,284 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Take the cover off wipe dry all sealing surfaces reinstall gasket and cover. Tighten cover to 6-8 in.lbs. That should stop it.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:11 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

+3 on the too tight syndrome. I bought my 06 streetbob with 2100 on the clock, and that was the one thing wrong with it, the front brake master cyclinder was peeling paint. I replaced it with the chrome master cylinder and then cleaned, sanded and painted my flat black one as standby again. Bottom line, screws were too tight, which bows the gasket out slightly causing the fluid to sweat or seap out very minutely, and probably a combination of over filling it too. Since I have had the chrome one on I haven't had any moisture on the outside of it. Those screws do not need to be very tight at all. Just tight enough to seat the gasket where you don't see it indent or crush down, and then just a hair, and I mean hair more.
I got a buddy that just bought a 10wide glide, nobody has done squat to it except the dealer, and I noticed that right off the bat, his front brake master cylinder was sweating a little around the gasket area. I told him my story and said pull that cover off check the level and retighten those screws, and clean that brake fluid off there.
Matter of fact, when I changed out my brake lines, over hauled my calipers and master cylinders, that was the time if I was gonna do it to change over to dot 5, which would aleviate paint bubbling problems but, after much research, I shot it down, dot 4 is here to stay in my ride, especially in a humid climate like the coast.

Last edited by cactusred; 07-05-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine to both the front and rear master cylinder. I had it at the stealer once for the front one now its eating all the paint on there. Just noticed the rear yesterday. Apparently the MOCO has had a lot of issues with this

Old 07-05-2010, 11:44 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it has more to do with the DOT 4 brake fluid than anything else. It's quite corrosive. DOT 5 is not as corrosive. My front master cylinder is in horrible shape from the DOT4.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 AM
nooster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines leaky with bubbling paint. another guy I know with an 06 softie is missin a lot of paint off his too.
I'll have to try the 6-8 in lbs trick

Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 AM
r46jack
Advanced

Thanks for input guys. I'm gonna take mine apart, clean her up, replace then, get a couple of sweat bands, cover rear caliper and stuff other one under seat. When front starts leaking again because it seams to me it will do, put sweat band over front until taken apart and cleaned. Reason for the bands is to be sure no DOT 4 gets on tank or another paint work.
HD need to sort this, simple 30 pounds/ 60 dollar ish item, ain't good enough after over 100 years.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 AM
r46jack
Advanced

Thanks for input guys. I'm gonna take mine apart, clean her up, replace then, get a couple of sweat bands, cover rear caliper and stuff other one under seat. When front starts leaking again because it seams to me it will do, put sweat band over front until taken apart and cleaned. Reason for the bands is to be sure no DOT 4 gets on tank or another paint work.
HD need to sort this, simple 30 pounds/ 60 dollar ish item, ain't good enough after over 100 years.

Quick Reply: master cylinder leak FXDC 09