Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neutral between gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default neutral between gears

ok i have had two harleys ..softtail custom and my fxdx . both have found neutral between gears before..but it seems here lately that the fxdx is finding neutral between gears alot more.. is this a sign of tranny failure or is this just normal..i know that sometimes i just dont pull up hard enough to engage the next gear but damn...what is going on? about once a day it will happen

Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 AM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd double check your clutch adjustment. I don't know how many miles, or what year your bike is, but my guess would be that the clutch is getting a bit short...and is causing your accidental neutral engagements.

Just my $.02

Old 09-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loose is the shifter's linkage?
If it's too loose it'll make it hard too find neutral. I found that out when I put the HD billet shift arm on. It took out some of the slack and I don't have any problem with neutral now. If it is loose you can put a washer in between the shift arm and frame. For that matter check the condition off the springy washer that should be there.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:36 AM
kirk180
Tourer

I'm sure you may have already thought of this...but perhaps it's something as simple as adjusting your forward controls. :shrugs:

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AFHuey
I'd double check your clutch adjustment. I don't know how many miles, or what year your bike is, but my guess would be that the clutch is getting a bit short...and is causing your accidental neutral engagements.

Just my $.02
This would be my best guess.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

the REAL neutral is easy to find...i find neutral between 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th..but mostly when i go to pass and down shift to 3rd..bike has about 30k on it and is a 99fxdx

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts
Default Neutral

There is really only one neutral detent and that is between 1st and 2nd gear. The other neutrals you are finding is were you have not clicked the gears over far enough to catch the dogs on the side of the gears which actually tend to snap the gear to each other. You can hear that when you sometime get that since that the shift did not fill quite right and as you hit the throttle as you are letting out the clutch you here that extra click as the dogs fully engage. Since you are driving two bikes I sure they get your shift timing off. If you shift rod on one is aftermarket and has those spherical bearings they may be tight or you have 70-135 oil in the transmission. Shift harder and your problem may just go away. The worst thing on a Harley transmission is wimpy slow shifting. When you get a good clunk you get solid metal to metal. Easy shifts make small shavings that stops ball bearings from rolling. Whatever anyone does do not depend on any neutral except between 1st and 2nd.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
the REAL neutral is easy to find...i find neutral between 3rd and 4th or 4th and 5th..but mostly when i go to pass and down shift to 3rd..bike has about 30k on it and is a 99fxdx
If your finding neutral between anything other than first and second gear, something strange is going on. Does the neutral light come on between the upper gears? If not, your not really finding neutral, your in between gears. Sounds like your not stabbing the shifter hard enough... jmo

Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
AFHuey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at a loss on this one. I've never heard of this.

Last edited by AFHuey; 09-15-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Bob'n'Stang
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
You didn't say anything about that earlier. It could be that your not shifting hard enough or letting the clutch out early but you would probably hear some grinding of the gears. Or your shift dogs worn out and not engaging the gears properly. If it's happening on a regular basis you should have the tranny looked at.

Quick Reply: neutral between gears