Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get rid of my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:24 PM
stev0n
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get rid of my bike?

ok, first things first, my frame is bent.

bike is an 08 fxd i've had for about 2 months. seller told me it was in a 'front yard' wreck & the forks & fender had been replaced. It's my first harley, so i still don't know if it runs & handles & all that the way it should. But i've owned several jap bikes & i know how a bike should ride & this one rides straight, so i never had a reason to suspect the frame had any damage.

I made a thread about the front motor mount bolt hole/ear on the motor case being broken a while back...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ed-to-you.html
And finally figured out the cause.

The only part of the frame that appears to be tweaked is the left (shifter side) arm coming down from the neck causing the section of the frame that motor mount bolts to to be crooked & making the mount itself sit very crooked. Everything else lines up & bolts up perfectly on the bike.

it's dark and raining so no pictures right now. but i don't know if the 'leg' can be bent back into place or what.

Can it be fixed? is it worth fixing? or should i try to sell this bike after just 2 months with around $8k owed on the loan?

BTW, I love this thing & really don't wanna part with it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you contacted your insurance company? They might be able to help you out even though it was like that when you bought it. It might be worth a phone call. Sometimes they will pay off your loan and total the bike because they might not be able to insure it for you if it has damage like that.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
snookums
Tourer

sounds like a good time for a project. Hardtail the dern thing or make the bike you have always wanted. bent frame or opportunity.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
markrumsfield
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 or 9 grand should get you an FXD that is in pristine condition.Especialy in this market. You got one that has a cracked right side case that looks difficult to repair without a complete tear down, and the frame is bent? The two biggest components of the bike are trashed. Im no expert but it sounds like you got ripped off really really bad. I dont know how you could sell it other than as a parts bike. Good luck...

Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry redrubicon, any insurance company, under the above circumstances, will tell you to get lost if you try to make a claim on a bike for damage that was there when you bought it. And if you lie, it's insurance fraud.

Stevon should keep the bike if it rides okay. Unless you want to eat an $8k loan. You might want to take it to a reputable independent shop to see what they day.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$800 Ridged frame and slap all your parts on it

Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

For about 500 bucks you can send frame to these guys.... There are others out there to do it if you're really concerned.

http://drjohnsmfs.com/

Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

one more thing....... it not as easy to just get any old rigid frame and slap your 08 parts on it.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
stev0n
Road Master

There's a lien on the bike, so i can't just swap everything to a rigid frame.

this is also my daily driver, so it doesn't have the down time for a project & i would prefer it stay comfortable. if i wanted to try something with insurance, i have a $1k deductible & no $1,000, lol.

As far as the crack in the case, it was caused by the shifted mount because of the frame, its not causing any problems of its own & ive been checking it consistently for the last 1,500 miles.

Last edited by stev0n; 10-26-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
stev0n
Road Master

Thanks for the link sbyumabaker. now if I could just find someone like that within driving distance or at least this side of the country that is that cheap.