Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI tuner question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EFI tuner question...

ok so I have read that if i change my exhaust & a/c i should get a EFI tuner... but how many of you are running a full exhaust and a/c with no tuner? I have V&H short shots with the stock a/c but want to change the a/c to something smaller. I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of hp out of my harley, just wondering if it can be done without going so lean i do engine damage...

BTW PLEASE DON'T REPLY IF YOU AREN'T ACTUALLY RUNNING THIS SET UP!!!

i don't want read about what people have heard, just people that have tried running an after market exhaust and a/c without a tuner because i know there are a few that have tried it...

Old 12-26-2010, 12:18 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil_keeps_me_young
BTW PLEASE DON'T REPLY IF YOU AREN'T ACTUALLY RUNNING THIS SET UP!!!
Well .. you're probably gonna miss some nuggets of info then....

( BTW I used to run V&H StraightShots, Stg.1 a/c, and MoCo stg.1 download.... pretty damn close to the setup your talking about).

If your pissed 'cause I responded, and I was not/am not, running that exact setup.... I'll delete my text...

Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Evil_keeps_me_young
Banned

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Well .. you're probably gonna miss some nuggets of info then....

nuggets of info from people telling me not to do it even though they never tried it? yes i'd like to totaly skip that advice...

Old 12-26-2010, 02:32 AM
ecvjohnny
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done it, your bikes gonna run HOT.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 AM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

yeah, got my FXDC exactly like that (short shots and OEM AC). bike ran rough and hot as hell, but I bet it was the same with the stock pipes either. OEM calibrations suck, IMO the SEST is a must have even if your bike is bone stock. night and day difference.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior

Did it, yup...it'll run. Hot. Can you do it? Yup. Should you? I wouldn't. If you are trying to save some cash, do the XIED's or whatever they voltage foolers are called to get some fuel and cool that engine down. Cheap and you might even get someone with some sitting on a shelf to sell you a set for even less than the $100 or so they are new.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:32 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

nuggets of info from people telling me not to do it even though they never tried it? yes i'd like to totaly skip that advice...
Understand. You can run like that, and it will run as hot if not hotter than bone stock.
The ECM will attempt to maintain the programmed AFR, based on it's current VE mapping. If you change intake and exhaust, you have modified the engine's volumetric efficiency.

I won't tell you one way or the other, what you should do. I will give you a 'nugget'.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 AM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b0fh
yeah, got my FXDC exactly like that (short shots and OEM AC). bike ran rough and hot as hell, but I bet it was the same with the stock pipes either. OEM calibrations suck, IMO the SEST is a must have even if your bike is bone stock. night and day difference.
+1 on that! once it is re-tuned it will run cooler and SOOOO much smoother. not to mention you have stock pistons (casted pistons) increasing the heat increases your chances of burning a hole through one. and thats bad juju, dude. you bike should be fine the way it is because i hear about guys running a setup just like that all the time with NO problems. personally, i never did it because im rough on my bike enough as it is. keep in mind my goal here isnt to say what you should do either way... just trying to pass good info.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:49 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok so I have read that if i change my exhaust & a/c i should get a EFI tuner... but how many of you are running a full exhaust and a/c with no tuner? I have V&H short shots with the stock a/c but want to change the a/c to something smaller. I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of hp out of my harley, just wondering if it can be done without going so lean i do engine damage...
Was that a typo? Why would you want to go with a "smaller" a/c ?

Anyhow I am running V&H Big Shots and the SE A/C (which came with my bike). I presently do not have an actual tuner, but according the records in the saddlebags when I bought the bike used it does have the old 2007 SE dealer map download which is not as advanced at controlling the mix as todays tuners, but it is a compensator for the pipes. However I "do" want to get a Tuner (TTS MasterTune) but just don't have the funds yet.
My bike does run hot. All Harleys run a hotter due to Emission requirements of a "functional" lean mixture, which won't damage your engine, short term unless you do parades, very long traffic lights or traffic jams without turning your engine off. However the functional hot is not the "add pipes hot" you are referring to.
BUT changing from stock pipes to the free flow V&H will cause your engine to run "more" lean and hot "IF" you don't do something to compensate for it, that is a definite yes on that. That is proven physics. Years ago when I was in High School everything had carbuerators (no ECM's or EFI) and when we put straight pipes on our bikes we would unscrew the brass jets from out of the float bowl and drill them out very slightly with a drill press, reinstall them and check the color of our plugs until we got them drilled out enough to make the lean (whitish grayed ash color) go away.
If you don't do something to correct "over leaness" (not meaning the Factory lean mix which is the limit of the envelope) then over time it will burn your valves. You can verify that with any mechanic auto or bike.
Your larger A/C helps but the ECM that controls the EFI mix is complex and it needs new data to go along wth flow changes.
Hope this info helps you.

Last edited by R_W_B; 12-26-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:05 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Just to add a real-world experience... when I installed the intake that I built on the bike, (up from a Stg.1)... I went out and put a couple hundred miles on it. When I fueled up and checked the mileage, I was getting 56mpg.... pretty nice... but I knew I was burning way lean. Pulled the plugs when I got home and sure enough they were pretty white. Went ahead and retuned with my TTS... all is good now.

Quick Reply: EFI tuner question...