Notices
Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.

Back yard mods and paint complete

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
dclements0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fat bob looks so mean with the painted wheels and blacked out. Nice job.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, there's something to be said for knowing your limitations and still making the bike "yours". My only suggestion would be to start gathering tools and a manual. Each project only requires a few tools. Before you know it you'll have what you need and have gained some knowledge about your bike. Ride ON!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Thingfish
Elite HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 418 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll need it for my next project which will be a blacked out FL front end. Actually, I am going to enlist some quality help for that one...If could, I think I'd go back one step and unpaint the rear shocks....one black piece too many...oh well. Eventually I'll replace them with some aftermarket shocks. Hard to stop once you get going.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm liking it - especially since YOU did it yourself, and all with basic tools. And like you said, if it didn't turn out, try again or go to a pro.

My thought on why things turned out so well is because of all the prep that went into. You cleaned everything and took care of it up front.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your masking skills are awesome.If I had the patience to mask like that I'd have painted my wheels years ago.And it IS a pain in the *** to take the wheels off and get them back on right and do it in enough time to paint them and get them back on in time for work the next day.Every time I take mine off I forget which spacers go where and I usually have to make a couple attempts to get it back together right.Also maybe re spray the shocks a gloss black epoxy it'll match the front end a little better.

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 06-20-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain

Nice job.

I've painted a few things that might have been "easier" if I just removed them....but I don't have a lift and sometimes it's faster to just do it, especially if it's small.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
oldgeezer
Elite HDF Member

Nice job!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Thingfish
Elite HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 418 Posts

Thanks for getting it guys. Exactly Punch, I just wanted to go for it and I'm glad I did. It really increased my enjoyment of the bike. HD Street Bob, you're right, prep matters. It's almost like the old rule of thumb that to avoid work can often be more work than the work itself would have been, such as just remove the wheels in the first place. The work we give ourselves though can come with its own rewards as you said, like a job well done. Special Ed, you said exactly what I was worried about as far as dealing with remounting the wheels correctly. I really liked eyeballing the "problem" and coming up with a solution based on what made sense for me and THEN having it actually work. Priceless. Gloss may be a good solution to the shocks. All that flat black was really making the rear look muddy, losing it's definition. I wil try it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
shafferk
One Of The Regulars

Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
Thanks for getting it guys. Exactly Punch, I just wanted to go for it and I'm glad I did. It really increased my enjoyment of the bike. HD Street Bob, you're right, prep matters. It's almost like the old rule of thumb that to avoid work can often be more work than the work itself would have been, such as just remove the wheels in the first place. The work we give ourselves though can come with its own rewards as you said, like a job well done. Special Ed, you said exactly what I was worried about as far as dealing with remounting the wheels correctly. I really liked eyeballing the "problem" and coming up with a solution based on what made sense for me and THEN having it actually work. Priceless. Gloss may be a good solution to the shocks. All that flat black was really making the rear look muddy, losing it's definition. I wil try it in the next few weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.
What brand paint/gloss did you use? I think I'm gonna try to gloss black some small things on my wide glide like signals, belt guard, headlight trim ring, etc. Your method seems to be a high quality alternative to paying a lot of $$$ for powdercoating. I hate the fact that HD blacked everything out on my bike except a few misplaced chrome parts that look ridiculous. Great writeup!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Outlaw85wilk

I really like how you did everything yourself. I am blessed to live by a poweder painter that doesnt charge big $$ for small jobs. I gor my 21" wheel sprayed for $13. I have painted parts myself like the signals and brake light bc like you its my daily rider and I didnt want to have to wait!

Like you I didnt trust myself to take parts off my bike like a wheel or the gas tank but I didnt want to pay HD big $$ to put my bars on so I went in head first with basic tools and my service manual. I was shocked how easy half the stuff was to do yourself. Before I knew it I had my whole front end and tank off. I was going to black out the front end while I had it all apart but I realized I needed special tool once I had my upper tree and forks off. I guess I should have read a little more into it first but I had a hell of a time doing it! Once I got it back together I was sure I forgot something or screwed something up but not one issue! BIG confidence boost. Get the wrench out and have fun... thats what I did and I was glad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back yard mods and paint complete

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: