Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What twould you suggest?
Dont use it
44.58%
Leave it the way it is
9.64%
Paint it sedona orange
45.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Wide Glide with a batwing fairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM
billbuzz
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Opinion

I'm not bashing, just giving my opinion like you asked. I have owned three wide glides and the reason I like them is the plain, bare bones look. No bags, fairing or windshield for me. I like the wide forks and I think any additions to the front end takes away 'THE LOOK". Mine is set up just for me. Even removed the rear pegs. Like I told my wife. I will buy a touring bike--Road Glide--Street Glide or whatever if I want a fairing or anything. It's all whatever you like. By the way your apes look good.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 Wide Glide with a batwing fairing-imag0053.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted sedona orange because I was raised by an interior decorator, so matching colors is vital to a gentleman like myself. That being said I am thrilled by the idea of keeping it black and adding sedona orange flames, if not sedona ghost flames. BTW I am a painter too, so I dont really know much.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with billbuzz that it takes away from the front end look of the wide glide. Just looks too cumbersome on that frame. I eventually want to get a quick release windshield for long trips but am not even looking forward to that, again I think it will take away from the look, but hey if its practical and what you like, go for it.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should leave it black for a bit. Try it out on a few trips and see if you really like it. If you decide that you like it and plan on using for long trips then have it painted to match the bike. That way if after a couple uses you decide it's not your thing then you can sell and won't have wasted the cash on painting it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I appreciate all opinions. I know I am up in the air about what to do thus the reason to ask.
nkauf21 that is what I was thinking. Truly put it through its paces before dropping any more money.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
W G Junkie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take it off your hands if you decide to ditch it. Looks good on there. Id like to know how well it blocks the wind on a long ride. If you keep it, paint it to match. Good work!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:52 AM
O.F.
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac69
I appreciate all opinions. I know I am up in the air about what to do thus the reason to ask.
nkauf21 that is what I was thinking. Truly put it through its paces before dropping any more money.
I know a lot of baggers run apes with their fairings but in their case, the fairing came first. Functionally, the two don't work IMO.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Got to say it's not really my thing but if you like it, more power too you. That and it looks better than I thought it would.

As for what to do with it if you decide to keep it after trying it out for a while (very good advice, BTW), I'd paint it to match your tank...Sedona Orange with the black flames and Harley Orange pinstriping.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with couple others that you should try it out first a few times, decide if you really like the look, then if you have $225 to spend go ahead and paint it. It brings down the appearance of your bike because you have a fairly flashy paint scheme with the sedona orange/flames.

I have one i plan on using for longer trips but i also have drag bars so my hands will be covered by the batwing and this is part of the reason i went for the batwing. I notice you have apes so it will not cover your hands, therefore any windshield that takes the wind off your face would probably work better and may look better. I plan to take it off if i am not doing long trips.
It looks fine on your bike but the wide wing is not being used, only the windshield part. I would not paint it unless you are sure you are going to keep, if you resold you could probably only get $200 or less so might be better off to just keep and throw it on when you like.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
trekez2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't plan on painting mine, I think there is enough gloss black to carry it off. Yours may too, and since you only use it only for trips, why bother.

I'd be interested in buying the 9 inch windshield if that motavates you to buy the one you want. Mine is 12 inch and provides full coverage, but I'd rather look over it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Wide Glide with a batwing fairing