Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Primary Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
stewart1962
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Primary Cover

Roadrider
when i took the shaft out, i shawn a torch inside and the shaft goes all the way through, i have had no oil leaks, so all must be ok.
I did not block the hole in the inside of the casing, but i was thinking of maybe trying to pack it with grease.
If you think about it, there cant be any leaks from the shaft, the origonal gear shiftrod is quite a loose fit in the shaft, so it would have leaked from new. makes sense.
One other thing i done when i took the shaft out, was to cut a length of it just under 3 inches long, drill a hole right down the center of it, painted it black, and im using it for a 3 inch take lift, plus i made the two outside brackets to go along with it. There you go, a dual purpus shaft, lol

Old 01-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Roadrider18
Tourer

Stewert.........man what an idea, the hack saw blade. Worked like a champ, not a mark on the engine. But...for 52 year old fingers...it was a task! I guess I don't have onset arthritus cause the effort was painful enough. Started sawing without gloves (not a good idea) and then put on my mechanic mits and made the task much more bearable.

It appears there is a sleeve for the shaft to run through in the chaincase housing...or the lube would surely blow out with the chain spinning.

Now to find a chrome snap plug for the hole in the primary cover!

THANKS!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM
BLKCHRYBOB06
6th Gear

I did mine in January of 06. I paid almost $400.00 for the controls, and they wanted almost another $400.00 to install. Thats freekin' insane. Then I decided to do it myselft. I got the primary cover off, and realized the inner primary had to come off. I called the stealer, and I was told by the stealer that they would not sell me the primary lock tool (another way for them bast**ds to take my money), like the bike didn't cost me enough, but I couldn't see myself on a vulcan, so I paid for the harley. Enough compaining though.

You can purchase the locking tool on on the internet for next to nothing. I didnt do that.

I took a skill saw and cut a wedge out of a 2 x 6. I used it in place of the primary chain lock tool and loosened the primary drive as instructed by the DYNA manual. I did the reverse for the install. It worked really well. The hardest part was cutting the wedge, and getting the automatic tesioner positioned to tighthten the chain. I wouldn't recomend cutting anything with a hack saw where there are moving parts, but thats just me. Even though there is a sleve for the shaft to run through you still have to cut it with the primary cover off to get it in far enough to put the filler cover in that comes in the kit.

I understand the concept though. The metal debre that would be left really wouldn't hurt anything in there unless it got in one of the seels, and the only machined parts in there are the shafts and pullies. Still what if some metal got in the tensioner. Man that would suck, and then when you take your bike in for waranty work the stealer sees the cut shaft sitting in there and they dont pay for any damage. That would really suck. Just my thoughts though, you guys should do it another way besides cutting the shaft inside or outside the primary.

Just my a$$h0le (opinion)

:-)

[IMG]local://upfiles/23011/D7963B8F7B3B4663A4062362BF2C5404.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Roadrider18
Tourer

All the sawing takes place in the external cavity between the innner primary housing and the engine and all debris falls on the ground. Once the arm which connects the link to the tranny falls to the ground...you pull the mid-shift shaft through the chaincase housing and out. Nothing remains.

I covered the shaft hole in the outer primary cover with this medallion.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3606

Since I have a shinny USMC derby cover from

http://www.azece.com/polished%20fini...20polished.htm

the primary looks pretty good.